What's your favourite arcade game?

If there's one thing I remember about holidays to Skeg-Vegas as a kid it's the arcades. I could hear the sounds of all my favourite games rolled into one superb noise as I walked to my arcade of choice for the night. It was an amazing place to be as far as I was concerned. Armed with a pocket of 10p's and aware that I had to meet my mum in the Bingo at 9pm, it was time I settled a few scores.

One game I settled a few scores on was Knockout King. That game alone would often be fed a few 10p's.

That's one of mine so far. I'm sure there will be many others. One rule though. For me it was a time when the arcades started to die and could be matched graphically by consoles. For this thread no 3d games allowed. Not even Virtua fighter. Sorry. Only 2d games qualify.

I was more for rolling the pennies down the machine with the black/white lines! lol

The now long gone Golden Ball in town had a fantastic game called Soldiers of Light. Made by Taito i believe. One of the best i ever played

Time Crisis 2, I used to kick ass on that game. :cool:

Whilst I did like Time Crisis and have spent many a quid on it, unfortunately, it's barred from this thread. It's a 3d game. Sorry to be a pedant. ;)

Whilst I did like Time Crisis and have spent many a quid on it, unfortunately, it's barred from this thread. It's a 3d game. Sorry to be a pedant. ;)

You class those cruddy graphics as 3D?? Wow. :shocked:

Original marble madness with the 2 roller balls. That and Gauntlet when it came out, "Valkrie is about to die.."

Them were the days.

:)

You class those cruddy graphics as 3D?? Wow. :shocked:

Yeah they were made of polygons. It's the sprite based games that were "true" arcade games. Well only as far as this thread goes. ;)

I did love loads of 3d arcade games but for me they signify the start of the death of the arcade. I loved Tekken when that came out but I also remember arcade prices seemed to go up with it. A quid to a child for 15 minutes max play is pretty poor. It was when games became time based too. Finishing a game seemed more likely down to how much cash you had rather than how much skill. I had mates who could clock a game on 10p. Some even let you carry on afterwards. It soon worked out cheaper to buy a Playstation and the key thing was the graphics were matched by the consoles. Long gone is the term "Arcade Perfect". :(

I have a few faves, including the old wireframe Star Wars games, remember the Cabinet for the first one? Released in the early 80s iirc, completed it as well, on about 2 quid's worth of credit.

More recently, my 50ps were spent on the 4 player Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game, got quite far on that as I recall, then I downloaded it for MAME and completed it, same with the similar Simpsons game.

Edited by Rich

I always loved playing things like Golden Axe, those Dungeon & Dragons beat-em-ups or Captain Commando.

But the king of the arcade was always Bubble Bobble. Shame I could never beat the last level.

I remember way back in the 80s I actually got my Mother playing Pac Man in the Arcades! Lol.