Living near Sheffield

Hi all,

Thinking of relocating to the peak district and got a few questions about the area and travelling to Sheffield:

- What are the job oppurtunities like in Sheffield? (I know it's bad everywhere, but compared to other places)

- Is it hard to travel during the winter from/to Sheffield from the peak district. e.g do alot of roads get closed because of the snow (i.e bakewell or buxton)

- How bad is the traffic around sheffield city centre? (in rush hour how long would it take to travel from bakewell/buxton?)

- What is Sheffield like in general... safe or violent? dirty or clean, grafitti etc?

Thanks

- What is Sheffield like in general... safe or violent?

It's better than London. ;)

It's better than London. ;)

Live on the outskirts of London at the moment. A bit of a dump, but the media deffinately makes it look worse than it is

Edited by -Dan-

You will be hard pressed to find a job!

:(

Looks like there was a fair amount of jobs around when I searched online?

There is 16,000 people in sheffield looking for work! you would get one but it would take a while... what work you want?

There is 16,000 people in sheffield looking for work! you would get one but it would take a while... what work you want?

Not too fussy to start of with. Probably just a general office job

If you move to bakewell you should be able to get pub work easy and then you wouldn't have to go into sheffield much?

Hi all,

Thinking of relocating to the peak district and got a few questions about the area and travelling to Sheffield:

- What are the job oppurtunities like in Sheffield? (I know it's bad everywhere, but compared to other places)

- Is it hard to travel during the winter from/to Sheffield from the peak district. e.g do alot of roads get closed because of the snow (i.e bakewell or buxton)

- How bad is the traffic around sheffield city centre? (in rush hour how long would it take to travel from bakewell/buxton?)

- What is Sheffield like in general... safe or violent? dirty or clean, grafitti etc?

Thanks

Sheffield is generally considered to have a comparatively low crime rate. Yes, there is crime like anywhere else, but pro rata it's usually lower, and it tends to happen in pockets in various places.

The city centre has had alot of money spent on it in recent years, and development is ongoing. Yep, it's slackened off for current economic reasons, but so has everywhere else.

I've lived in a few other places, but I've come back to Sheffield, and wouldn't swap it for the other places I have lived in. I believe Sheffield has the highest retention rate of students in the country, ie they stay after coming here to go to university. So there must be something!

The city centre traffic can be very busy, and complaining about it is almost the city's sport. But the reality is, it's no worse than anywhere else. I drive a lot, but often cycle into town. Even at "rush hour" I get get the 5 miles or so into the city from my house in 15 minutes, maybe a bit more on my bike.

There is a tram system (albeit limited).

If you want to go to the Peaks, then you'll have picked a fantastic place to live. Transport wise, look at the map and locate the villages which are on the Sheffield-Manchester railway line, which has frequent trains, which should get you round the snow problem. Places such as Hathersage, Grindleford, Hope, Edale etc.

Good luck!

Edited by perplexed
typo

Sheffield was just about totally cut off last December for a week, but that was because of the heaviest fall of snow I can ever remember seeing in a single day. (Even in 1947 it took more than one day to come down!)

Under all but the most freakish winter conditions, and assuming you are on the above mentioned train line, you're never likely to be unable to reach Sheffield for more than the occasional day. If you want to live in a remote village - well obviously that has its plus points, but the big negative point is the very fact that it's remote and you might get cut off.

What are the job oppurtunities like in Sheffield? (I know it's bad everywhere, but compared to other places) - depends what you want to do.

- Is it hard to travel during the winter from/to Sheffield from the peak district. e.g do alot of roads get closed because of the snow (i.e bakewell or buxton)- If it snows which it usually does in the Peaks you'll have some problems but probably only for a few days in a year.

- How bad is the traffic around sheffield city centre? (in rush hour how long would it take to travel from bakewell/buxton?)- Bakewell prob 20mins to edge of city then 40mins to city centre in rush hour. Longer for Buxton- you'd be better off working in Manchester!-

What is Sheffield like in general... safe or violent? dirty or clean, grafitti etc?

Quite safe for a city. As you'll only be seeing the west side travelling in from the peaks its also pretty clean and nice.

Dan

Our City is one of the safest Cities. I have many friends who came to Sheffield from down south and love it and wouldn't go back.

I was down at the Job Centre this week with a client and there was locally 1500 jobs of varying levels.