Chinese theme park being built in Rother Valley country park

Thank you for that - I was thinking that it was a strange time to start the project and that there would have been more publicity around the site if it was but couldn't think what else it would be.

Thanks for clearing that up for me

Well it sounds OK to me. Better than the Chinese idea. Hope it happens this time and is a top quality attraction.

Great news for us at Rother Valley View B&B !!!

This idea probably has a better chance of happening than previous suggestions - it is an established business with a number of parks and does not rely on external funding.

By the looks of it the initial park build will be a modest one with a few family attractions plus waymarked walks, with the park developed in sections over a number of years. However this one is also a 'resort' with accommodation, so it may pan out a bit like Center Parcs even.

Being just outside Killamarsh it should be easy to get to by car and there is plenty of land for a good size car park, additionally there is potential to provide a public transport connection there (perhaps a shuttle bus from Halfway tram terminus or Crystal Peaks?).

Here is the website for Gullivers to give an idea of what they are about https://www.gulliversfun.co.uk/

Edited by Andy C

Here's their link to the Rother Valley plans, so they look quite intent on making a go of it:

http://www.gulliversvalley.co.uk/the-valley-project

From their site:

"The Ecology and Education Centre and the Woodland Activity Centre proposed for Pit House West will preserve and enhance the area and wildlife. It will also be open for local schools and groups to enjoy."

Good. My main objection to the Chinese thing, apart from it's innate naffness was that they were planning to destroy important wildlife habitats and an over wintering area for bitterns. If this project can preserve and enhance the area then thats much better. I still have concerns about some areas where skylarks and yellowhammers nest, but I'll see what they say on that matter.

That sentence makes no sense, and that thing you keep doing with the full stops mid sentence is quite annoying.

A theme park in sheffield might be nice but i don't see how we need one, we seem to have got along just fine without one up to now.

I believe Rother Valley is actually in Rotherham . It was Rotherham Council that granted the planning application .

Here's their link to the Rother Valley plans, so they look quite intent on making a go of it:

http://www.gulliversvalley.co.uk/the-valley-project

I love the sound of their plans - it feels realistic so fingers crossed that it all works out. Third time lucky and all that...

Love this part of the plan a lot

• Gully's dream village, a community where children with life threatening illnesses can be given the chance to enjoy cost-free respite in a magical environment.

I believe Rother Valley is actually in Rotherham . It was Rotherham Council that granted the planning application .

From their history page:

Rother Valley Country Park was first suggested in the 1960's as the areas of Mosborough, Beighton and Sothall began to expand. In 1972 Sheffield City Council commissioned a full feasibility study during which the National Coal Boards plan for extensive opencasting of the area were discussed.

Since the area in question covered parts of Rotherham, Sheffield and North East Derbyshire a Joint Committee of the local councils was set up. By guiding the restoration work following opencasting the requirements for the areas use as a country park were met.

Good to see the video they used to show in the TV room is now online!

http://www.rvcp.co.uk/Education/ParkHistory.aspx