Why can't I get employed?

:help:

I am so fed up I go on interview after interview hand round CV to every store I see at least once a week and always get the same answer. Do I come across that bad on first impression? A trouser suit, hair pinned back research on the business what else can I do? Then people look at me as if Im a sponger who doesn't want to work :roll: I am so fed up all I want is a job some people want to work and its driving me crazy :cry:

Constructive advice - have you had your CV checked to make sure that there aren't lots of spelling mistakes and so on? Lots of places will bin badly written or presented ones.

Have you hit the email? Lots of stores now have centralised recruiting email addresses - have a look at websites, if you can.

Good luck!

I was going to say have a look at your CV too. Maybe get someone to have a look at it for you and see if it can be improved?

Also image is a huge thing to some employers, have you got colourful hair, large earrings etc (you don't need to answer that, it's just something to think about).

You could always ask any of the companies that you have had an interview with for some feedback?

I would say that alot of jobs are filled by people who are known to the managers or established workers. You need to understand why the role has become available so you can tailor your CV to that situation. You can then make references to similar work and how you will be an asset to the business to help it grow.

I would not suggest for one minute creating a fake advert for a job to see what other similar experienced people have on their cv's.

:help:

I am so fed up I go on interview after interview hand round CV to every store I see at least once a week and always get the same answer. Do I come across that bad on first impression? A trouser suit, hair pinned back research on the business what else can I do? Then people look at me as if Im a sponger who doesn't want to work :roll: I am so fed up all I want is a job some people want to work and its driving me crazy :cry:

EMMA You stick at it someone will employe you in time ,,,,, :)

but i will tell you they is more people out there that doesnt want to work than people that do want to work

Dont give up ......

thankyou for your advice guys, ive looked at my CV and it might need redoing it has my qualifications and previos employment and references placed on it maybe it needs to look more professional. No I haven't got coloured hair or tattos on show -a couple on my back that arnt hideous.

I won't give up just got disappointed again this morning :roll:

I have always found that you will need to vary your cv accordingly. Obviously all your employment history and qualifications will remain the same but other parts will need to be adapted to suit. Also when filling in application forms ensure that you answer all the key points they are looking for. Many companies work on a points system when looking at your application. If you don't score enough then no interview.

It's hard work put it will pay off. Don't be put off by these set backs. I'm sure you will gain employment in time. Always act natural at interviews. They know you will be nervous and will take that into consideration. Body language is also very important as is eye contact with the person/s that are interviewing you.

All the best and stay positive.

Constructive advice - have you had your CV checked to make sure that there aren't lots of spelling mistakes and so on? Lots of places will bin badly written or presented ones.

Have you hit the email? Lots of stores now have centralised recruiting email addresses - have a look at websites, if you can.

Good luck!

It sounds like it is not the CV that is the problem for the OP. Her issue is presentation and interview technique.

Emma; when you are turned down for a job, have you asked them why? If you get feedback, it might help you fine tune your interviewing technique.

The best of luck with the job hunting...the fact that you are being tenacious and asking for advice are positive employment attributes.

I agree with Steve, in my view the CV is a document to let the employer judge if they want to interview you; once you have secured the interview the CV is less important, it is how you answer the questions and just as importantly what questions you ask the interviewer that make an impression at this stage.

You said you research the company before interview, make this obvious in the questions you ask; relate them to recent press releases or about their products or services. Ask questions about what you will be doing day to day, about the viability of the business and about their future plans. What are they trying to achieve by filling this role? You can then point out why you would be good for the company, how your skills and experience match their day to day workload and their future plans. Don't ask about holidays, pension, or money at this stage, that can be covered at 2nd interview.

Write your questions down on a pad and take it into the interview with you. jot down their answers and at the end of the interview make sure you thank them for their time and re-iterate that you want the job. A simple sentence stating, "I am really interested in this position, thank you for your time, I really hope to hear from you again soon", said with sincerity and passion goes a long way.

I often find people who have been out of work a while do come across as desperate, just wanting any job rather than the particular one you have gone for, try to go in with the mindset that you have to make sure the job is right for you just as much as the other way round and your attitude and demeanour at the interview will change....... hopefully so will the outcome!

Too many people chasing after too few jobs is likely to be the problem.

Sadly, it is who you know and not what you know in the majority of the cases and as such I would go on facebook and friend ex-workmates and ask if they know of any jobs going around at their place; if it is your first job then that option is not available.

Rather than looking at Job board where everyone else is looking, try looking at each company website and see if there is a "Were are hiring" page within. These jobs are often not advertised elsewhere and as such statistically you are far more likely to end up getting a job as there are less people chasing after them.

Hello Emma,

I am the same so don`t worry you are lucky I am not even getting interviews I just get rejection letters half the time or no reply sometimes. By the sounds of it you are doing everything right I got so fed up that advertised myself and went out and got work locally where I live only 12 hours a week but its something, I hope if you have not found something already you do soon good luck to you.

Emma. x x :love::thumbsup:

Just to say your CV can always be improved. Tailoring to the job is important too. Getting interviews does not mean the CV is perfect, but it must be reasonable. The better it is the better the interview will go though.

Oh, and to state the obvious, you're not the only one. I've had 7 interviews and nothing yet. A more experienced person always appears in my case. This probably did not happen a few years ago, as they were all employed already.