First time camping. Severe weather forecast. Any tips?

Tried camping once years ago. Never again we borrowed what we thought was a tent from someone we knew. Had great difficulty in erecting it until another friendly camper pointed out that it wasn't a tent but a caravan awning. Good job it was a warm evening because we only had 3 sides. It was so embarrassing. Still makes me laugh when I think about it.

this made me laugh so much i was nearly crying.....guess it wasnt funny at the time but its brightened my day:hihi:

Take some thermal socks to sleep in . We have 2 double air beds stacked lovelly and comfy.my daughter has 2 campbeds pushed together with a double air bed on top.Hope you have a good time.

this made me laugh so much i was nearly crying.....guess it wasnt funny at the time but its brightened my day:hihi:

Yes, I once knew two lads who failed to put the cover over the air vent (on top of the dome tent) and proceeded to get soaked as the rain fell into their tent. You have to wonder what was going through their mind, when they had a spare bit of material and they could see the sky through the hole, which conveniently happened to be the same shape and size as the material left over.

Just a quick update...

Put up tent in torrential rain; spent first night experiencing gale force winds - kids petrified, tent really arching inwards; rained all week.

But. No leaks, only a tiny but damp and BLOODY LOVED EVERY MINUTE!!!!

Just a quick update...

Put up tent in torrential rain; spent first night experiencing gale force winds - kids petrified, tent really arching inwards; rained all week.

But. No leaks, only a tiny but damp and BLOODY LOVED EVERY MINUTE!!!!

Ah good. It wasn't the best of weather, but I am glad you enjoyed yourself!

Glad to hear you're enjoying it hunni! Read this thread last week and was writing down key points for hubby and I as its our first time camping on Wednesday this week. Really unsure if i'm looking forward to it or not but just can't afford to do anything else with the kids.

Me, Hubby and 3 kids going. Fingers crossed we'll enjoy it! Does anyone know where I can buy some Windbreaks that don't cost the earth?

Glad to hear you're enjoying it hunni! Read this thread last week and was writing down key points for hubby and I as its our first time camping on Wednesday this week. Really unsure if i'm looking forward to it or not but just can't afford to do anything else with the kids.

Me, Hubby and 3 kids going. Fingers crossed we'll enjoy it! Does anyone know where I can buy some Windbreaks that don't cost the earth?

windbreaks ...for a really cheap alternative make your own with sharpened brush stales and old curtains ...very cheap.. or if you prefere to be posh dunelm mill sell lovely striped fabric ..

Never thought of that! Problem is i'm no good at sewing. :(

Thank you though x