First time camping. Severe weather forecast. Any tips?

I've got one double airbed for me and my little on to sleep on. We've each got a 3 season sleeping bag. Will place a double wool blanket on airbed first then our sleeping bags on top. I've got another little blanket and a picnic rug to put on top if need be. Not planning on taking duvet...is that a mistake given what we are taking?

Have plenty of guy ropes? This suggests I need to take spare ones? There a guy ropes attached to tent....should I be taking more??

Dig a wee trench around the tent with trowel.

Only if you think you'll need it - you'l be able to see where the water might run. If you need it, you'll need an almighty ditch, if you don't then you won't need anything at all.

Tip: you're not at Glastonbury. Camp on higher ground. If it looks like grass, then that's probably what it'll be. If it looks like it's been run over by fast water (ie it's all lying down) in the recent past, then avoid.

Don't get too freaked by the advice :). Pitch on higher ground away from any stream, make sure your guy ropes are firmly hammered in, go out to hammer any flapping ones in if need be and get those two mattresses and you'll have a brilliant time!

Agent Orange and Megalithic

What do you mean specifically [first timer remember!] Do you mean the poles have a tendancy so snap? So I should ensure guy lines are tight? Complete novice and in at the deep end here!!

I have bought stronger tent pegs than the tent came with.

Thanks, Hook. Am hoping the weather forecast is wrong again!

Thanks to whoever changed title of thread - I wanted to but realise we can't edit the title, just the main message

xx

You need to take the strain off the poles, as much as possible. The tighter the ropes, the more strain will be absorbed and less chance of your poles bending and breaking.

Oh, avoid trees. Small twigs that break loose have a habit of tearing tents.

Thanks, everyone. I will get another mattress tomorrow...and a waterproof suit for the little one [she's 3]. Then I think we're set!

Will let you know how we get on!!

xx

Would a broom handle do for a stand in pole? Absolutely no idea what I'd do if it did break mind.

Only on a straight section. :hihi:

But don't worry, pitch it right and you'll be fine, also find a sheltered pitch, by a hedge if you can, but not under any large trees, those branches are subject to gravity too. ;)

Not planning on taking duvet...is that a mistake given what we are taking?

Have plenty of guy ropes? This suggests I need to take spare ones? There a guy ropes attached to tent....should I be taking more??

Duvet: I'm quite unusual in wanting to be comfortable while camping. If you take yours, you won't be cursing me later, put it that way! You'd be surprised just how cold it can be. Just imagine for a moment going out right now and sleeping in your back garden. Yup, that's how cold and unwelcoming it will be. A duvet somehow envelopes you all and keeps the heat in. Trust me, I have done this. :)

Regarding guy ropes, no, the ones that come with the tent will be fine. Just make sure that they're hammered in at a good angle so you can't pull them out easily and as I've said, if you hear the tent flapping in the wind, it's worth the bother of nipping out to get them hammered in again.

Duvet: I'm quite unusual in wanting to be comfortable while camping.

Me too, have a look at my first post here, an the pics. :D

Grand

We'll take a single duvet for the pair of us to put on top of our sleeping bags

Am so pleased I bought a bigger car lol

Grand

We'll take a single duvet for the pair of us to put on top of our sleeping bags

Am so pleased I bought a bigger car lol

Waterproof sealable bags for your clothes. Oh, and wellies :)

Wow, megalithic

I know I am one...but feel like a complete amateur now!! Well I guiess we've all gotta start somewhere.

Am largely doing this so my little one grows up a confident camper

Wow, megalithic

I know I am one...but feel like a complete amateur now!! Well I guiess we've all gotta start somewhere.

Am largely doing this so my little one grows up a confident camper

Different type of camping that's all, i'd be in a right tangle trying to put up a 5 man tent. :hihi:

just read through all this thread and i am now very intrested on how u get on, please report back when u return home.......and enjoy yourselfs camping is always great fun and the little ones always enjoy the adventure of it all what ever the weather ; )