First time camping. Severe weather forecast. Any tips?

The site does have a little beck running through it!! The pitches are on a slope...I will be aiming to be somewhere near the top!

The site does have a little beck running through it!! The pitches are on a slope...I will be aiming to be somewhere near the top!

Take a small spade (the little garden size one... can't think of the name at the moment!) if you can. When camping in France, on occasion we've had to dig small trenches around the tent to drain the rain away!

Do you mean a Trowel?

Agent Orange and Megalithic

What do you mean specifically [first timer remember!] Do you mean the poles have a tendancy so snap? So I should ensure guy lines are tight? Complete novice and in at the deep end here!!

These big tents aren't built to withstand strong winds, but you can lessen the risk of having it collapse if you tension the guys correctly, by correctly i mean have all the guys out, correctly pegged and at the right tension, do them up tightlt and it lessens the stress on the poles making them less likely to snap.

Loose guy lines are the usual culprit when the poles do snap, so if the wind does get up be sure to check the tension regularly.

Thank you, Megalithic x

Thank you, Megalithic x

You are welcome.

Another tip for you, i always carry a length of gaffa/duct tape wrapped round something like a walking pole etc for emergency pole repairs, in case one does snap during the night, you'll need some form of splint aswell, for me and my little tent that would be a small branch, but anything that comes to hand will do to see you through to the morning.

There's nothing worse than having to pack up in the middle of the night when it's wazzing it down. :D

Do you mean a Trowel?

Yes - that's the one!

Does your new car have air con? Useful to take the sleeping bags with you when you go out for the day with the air con on if it's wet. Helps dry them out!

Make sure you take some of those blow-up mattresses. Even just one double if finances restrict, with another to place on top. You'll sleep like a baby (pile everyone on if you need to). NEVER believe anyone who says that anything thinner is adequate.

I've camped in some really out-of-the-way places, and blown up our mattresses via the car battery then carried them into the tent past unbelieving looks. Trust me, it's the best £20/per mattress that you'll ever spend!

The bottom one protects you from the ground. The top one protects you from the coldness of the bottom one. You will be warm (a little rocky as in it feels like a wave movement but you'll deal with that) and if you take your duvet from home you'll feel like an angel has touched you with her wing as you drift off into blissful sleep .

On the other hand, if you attempt to sleep with something thin on the gound you'll hardly sleep a wink, you'll be cold, sharp things will dig into you and you will have a horrible night.

The only and I mean ONLY time you should ignore this advice is if you're carrying all your overnight things on your back. If you have a car at the campsite, you are all set to have the best sleep of your life!

(But remember to camp near the top of the hill, try not to sleep on a slope (or you'll end up bunched together), have plenty of guy ropes, make sure everything is anchored firmly and if need be, dig a trench around your tent so the torrents pass you by).

I'd ask before you go digging trenches, the campsite owner might take umbridge to you ruining his lovely grass. :hihi:

I forgot to add (though I agree with megalithic, and for what it's worth I've never actually had to dig trenchs, if you pitch far enough from the water course you won't have to) ...if you hear your tent flapping in the night, it's worth the bother of going out to re-peg the guylines. If you don't, they work loose and then you could really have a problem.

Enjoy! And, amazingly, you will. This is what memories (and experience) are made from. :)

It does have air con - great tip. Hope we don't need to use it!!

Would a broom handle do for a stand in pole? Absolutely no idea what I'd do if it did break mind.

So, when erecting tent, make sure guy ropes are as tight as I can pull them, with heavy duty pegs hammered in at 45' angle. Pitch towards top end of slope. Dig a wee trench around the tent with trowel.