First time camping. Severe weather forecast. Any tips?

So...in a bid to save money and have some fun now I have a toddler about the place, I decided to stock up on camping gear and head for the Lakes.

In the last few weeks I've kitted myself out [Atakama 5 tent], even got a new car to fit everything on [not only reason for purchase!]

Campsite is booked for next week [Park Cliffe near Bowness]. Checked weather and on the day we're due there is a severe weather warning for heavy rain. :( Am gutted. I know it's a gamble going to the Lakes but it's been so nice til now.

Was already nervous about first time camping trip [going with friend and her little one] now I am really worried!

Any tips?

wait a few days and check again or check another weather site, you can usually find one that says it's going to be nice :)

We have an Atakama 5 and it's quite good in the rain (our last one did collapse spectactularly in gale force winds in the Lakes, but it never leaked)! We've found them pretty waterproof and there's a nice big porch area to sit in and watch the rain from. I would make sure you had some wet weather plans - where to go, places to eat inside - but if you're near Bowness, you've got boat trips for a start. Also, make sure you keep some dry, warm clothes in the car, just in case. A cheap tarpaulin or some bin bags are useful if the ground outside the tent gets muddy. Take plenty of bags to keep things dry as well.

At the very worst, it's not so far back to Sheffield. And chances are that you'll get some sunshine along with the rain. Hope you have a great holiday.

Thanks, Mouserat your advice is really appreciated xx

Make sure you pitch your tent away from any streams/rivers and not in a hollow.

Well the tent has an hydrostatic head of 3000mm, so rain shouldn't be a problem, but if there's strong winds too i'd be concerned, looking at the reviews it seems the poles are a bit feeble for the job, so get all those guy lines sorted asap.

Well the tent has an hydrostatic head of 3000mm, so rain shouldn't be a problem, but if there's strong winds too i'd be concerned, looking at the reviews it seems the poles are a bit feeble for the job, so get all those guy lines sorted asap.

Yup, tighten them up.

fanfa,

Have a good time. I love camping and in the rain it's sometimes more fun. :)

i love being in a tent in the rain. i think the sound of the water hitting the side of the tent is a great sound.

i love being in a tent in the rain. i think the sound of the water hitting the side of the tent is a great sound.

If this was Facebook, I'd be clicking like!

Make sure you pitch your tent away from any streams/rivers and not in a hollow.

never crossed my mind what a great idea

Agent Orange and Megalithic

What do you mean specifically [first timer remember!] Do you mean the poles have a tendancy so snap? So I should ensure guy lines are tight? Complete novice and in at the deep end here!!

I have bought stronger tent pegs than the tent came with.

Thanks, Hook. Am hoping the weather forecast is wrong again!

Thanks to whoever changed title of thread - I wanted to but realise we can't edit the title, just the main message

xx