Advise on getting our lad into a farm

Hi all,

Our lad wants to go into Game keeping/farming when he is older.

I thought it would do his some good to maybe do a day a week on a farm so he can get a feel for what they do, or to become a beeter on a hunt.

Would anyone have any ideas of where we can go or who i can approach to speak to someone bout this.

Thing is my dad use to go shooting up in scotland and organise shoots etc, but its a bit far for our lad to go just for the day.

Any ideas welcome. :)

Cheers all

he dosent want to do an animal course, it dosent want to look after animals in that way. When he is 16 we can send him to scootland and they will teach him everything he needs to no. He is only 14, but weekend and school holidays would be a great time for him to to start getting some experience.

Wish I could help you........but......I tried for years to get my ex-Mother-in-Law on a farm, but without success.

he dosent want to do an animal course, it dosent want to look after animals in that way. When he is 16 we can send him to scootland and they will teach him everything he needs to no. He is only 14, but weekend and school holidays would be a great time for him to to start getting some experience.

Have you thought about volunteering?

National Trust?

Is their a local branch of Young Farmers he could join? My brother really loves farming too, he was a bit luckier that we were brought in a rural community so he knew some neighbours with farms and was able to help out there. Joining Young Farmers helped him meet a lot more people in the local farming community though and he is still an active member now in his 20's. It's definitely a good way of meeting others who share his interests and getting to know some of the local farming community.

See here for how to join:

http://www.nfyfc.org.uk/Becomingamember/Becomingamember

If you have lots of money it wont be a problem.

Try contacting the Heeley City Farm or Whirlow, sure both would appreciate willing volunteer helpers.

its not really farming its game keeping he wants to do. but i thought if he gets on a farm it will put him in contact with more people that could help. hopefully when he is 16 we can send him to scotland and he will be able to train up there :0

thanks for all your replys tho x

its not really farming its game keeping he wants to do. but i thought if he gets on a farm it will put him in contact with more people that could help. hopefully when he is 16 we can send him to scotland and he will be able to train up there :0

Well its hard for the english up here you know?

A good way to get to know people could be by beating on local shoots on a regular basis.

The next job is to find local shoots/syndicates.