Sheffield film 'Threads' - Megathread.

I have just pre-ordered the dvd on amazon because i have never seen the film.I am a big fan of the similar 28 days later and 28 weeks later and i am legend.I think i will enjoy the film.

There are no monsters in this one except maybe people in the way they treat each other. It's more of a what if documentary than an action / horror movie

If you like that kind of thing, give "By Dawn's Early Light" a try. American TV movie about, ironically, our twin city Donetsk being nuked.

It's a fantastic, if slightly disturbing film, seeing this has made me want to dig my dvd out again. I wasn't aware there was a blu ray of it though until now.

Does anyone remember when Threads was being filmed in Sheffield, as part of the promotion they had drawn outlines of people supposedly burned into the ground in various places around town? Did i imagine this? My mother can't remember this happening (or anyone else i've asked for that matter). I'm beginning to think i've imagined it.

Does anyone remember when Threads was being filmed in Sheffield, as part of the promotion they had drawn outlines of people supposedly burned into the ground in various places around town? Did i imagine this? My mother can't remember this happening (or anyone else i've asked for that matter). I'm beginning to think i've imagined it.

I seem to remember it but i did drink a lot back in the eighties so its a little fuzzy.:hihi::hihi:

I have just pre-ordered the dvd on amazon because i have never seen the film.I am a big fan of the similar 28 days later and 28 weeks later and i am legend.I think i will enjoy the film.

Its similar in being post apocalypse, although its starts before, and during the bomb dropping (thats immense) and then people dying and surviving afterwards.

Brilliant film, still hard hitting now, showing the absolute horror and being from Sheffield it makes it even more so.

Its similar in being post apocalypse, although its starts before, and during the bomb dropping (thats immense) and then people dying and surviving afterwards.

Brilliant film, still hard hitting now, showing the absolute horror and being from Sheffield it makes it even more so.

got to agree, although set in the eighties its still relevant and makes you realise if the proverbial hits the fan we are on our own.

LOL at this review on amazon.COM for it

Mountain Mike

2.0 out of 5 starsBut in the case of this movie (perhaps England's clone of that American movie or vice versa) goes into predictable detail of what a nuclear exchange would look like on the ground for us ordinary folks

March 1, 2018

Format: Blu-ray|Verified Purchase

I gave it 2 stars. This 1984 production seems to have a political slant--Anti Reaganism--from the early 1980's. It reminds me somewhat of a TV movie at that time with Jason Robards--with Reagan's mock voice in the background intoning his commitment to fight communism or whatever. But in the case of this movie (perhaps England's clone of that American movie or vice versa) goes into predictable detail of what a nuclear exchange would look like on the ground for us ordinary folks.

I was a young adult at that time. I don't remember any popular notion among ordinary people that nuclear war was "winnable". I remember the very opposite. Ironically, the Soviet Union collapsed very shortly after Reagan left office. No nuclear exchange occurred.

The movie itself I think provides a horrific view of what happens after a nuclear exchange. I don't think any rational person would disagree with their depiction of post exchange catastrophe. The movie did an excellent job of showing that.

So, in conclusion, the movie shows us what a nuclear exchange would look like. Yes--or no--a nuclear war is not winnable (something we knew back then BTW;) it is the basis of the logic of "mutually assured destruction" (MAD) that played a big role, IMHO, of why the exchange never happened.

I'm far more worried about terrorists using a nuclear device in a city.

Maybe we can say that the film provided a service back in 1984 to show everyone (including politicians and decision makers) what would happen if anyone were insane enough to start a nuclear war.

hes obviously american and DOESNT get it :P