Sheffield film 'Threads' - Megathread.

Something else partly filmed in Sheffield is "The Last Train" which was shown on ITV, this was a series rather than a film, about some passengers on a train that when an asteroid crashed on Earth, their train de-rails and a cannister containing a freezing thing inside hits the floor of the train and they all get frozen for a loooooong time, when they wake up, they find Sheffield in ruins and the whole of the first episode was filmed in Sheffield, in fact, across the road from where I live, I actually walked through the sets just after they had finished filming, it was filmed in the grounds of Middlewood Hospital, an apt place for a dark thriller film.

If you are inetrested in Sheffield music from the late 70's early 80's. There is a book which covers the majority of bands from that era and comes with a twenty+ track cd. "Beats working for a living" by Martin Lilleker. I think there is some sort of deal in some shops where you can get the book and the dvd together for thirty quid.

Originally posted by Kry10

when they wake up, they find Sheffield in ruins

Was it like Shaun of the Dead where they walk around for ages and noone even notices?

Not really, no zombies in this one, just a ruined earth with a few survivors, post-apocalyptic drama really, similar to threads in some respects.

it was meant to be ironic - post industrial sheffield - wot no steel...

:cool:

Threads Critically acclaimed but chilling story of a nuclear strike on Britain. Through the eyes of two Sheffield families we witness the immediate after-effects of the attack...the shock, grief, radiation sickness, hypothermia and starvation...

Maybe a mod should make this a stickie to avoid many a future questions on this topic :)

Hope this doesnt effect the value of my original copy!

Threads was excellent, where is it available? as my friends (who are alas too young to have seen it) would love it

In one part of the film, theres a protest out side the city hall, and in the crowd theres a very young looking me...:heyhey:

the area that was used to film the destrustion shown after the bomb went off, was where the HLC is now, and one shot of a milk float, lying in the ruines...... thats my old home...:heyhey: the price of fame.......

wow, just found this thread, havent got time to read all the responses, but i remember 'THREADS' i was young but scared life outta me, i hope someone has found it, cause i'm interested.

Also thanks for reminding me about the title of that series,The last Train, that was a brilliant series, but not many people seem to have seen it. I hope they rerun it.