Sheffield film 'Threads' - Megathread.

I remember watching Threads when it was first shown on BBC back in 1984.

As a TV film/documentary it was extremely graphic, and relatively realistic as to how ignorant people are about a nuclear attack (as if hiding in a house cellar is going to save you?). It also showed "life" after the attack, and how future generations adapted.

All I could think of afterwards was that I wouldn't want to live like that, and hoped that I would be directly under the explosion if/when it happened, so that I would be killed outright. I watched it when it was shown again on BBC a few years ago, and although it had dated somewhat, it still affected me in the same way.

I watched The Last Train on ITV as well.....a rather different story, but it had its realistic parts, e.g. how animals, especially dogs, survived and became fairly dominant in the world outside the "ark".

Originally posted by Ann_x

As a TV film/documentary it was extremely graphic, and relatively realistic as to how ignorant people are about a nuclear attack (as if hiding in a house cellar is going to save you?).

That wasn't meant to be showing peoples' ignorance, it was showing that they'd read up on it - I think the precautions people took were taken directly from the government's "Protect & Survive" leaflet which told people what to do in the event of a nuclear attack.

Never mind cellars, I remember the book's advice for those without an underground hideout was to paint your windows white (I dunno if I could even find a tin of white paint in the 4 minutes between the warning and the bomb landing, let alone paint all my windows), drape some blankets over a table and hide underneath it. I kid you not.

Originally posted by mdawes

From Tonight's Star

People will have their stories recorded on video or taped and the finished project will be shown later in the year.

Send in a short statement or anecdote, with your date of birth and contact details, to Threads Project, Site Gallery, 1 Brown Street, Sheffield S1 2BS. Or you can e-mail threads@sitegallery.org

Entries need to be in by May 1 and filming begins at the gallery the week beginning May 16.

I did this and I'm being filmed in a couple of weeks! Heh heh heh heh heh heh!

:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

I bought it off Ebay for a fiver. Yes, it's a fantastic film.

Just finished watching ‘Threads’. I’m feeling in a bit of a funny mood now; a little depressed and very thoughtful. I thought it was an excellent film, but I can understand why it wasn’t shown on television for so long. Some of the scenes were very disturbing, even by today’s standards, and the final shot was horrific - and I’m not a squeamish person at all.

There’s something to be said for using stock footage of nuclear mushrooms. Modern special effects tend to look obvious; no matter how good they are, we are fully aware that they were created on a computer. Although the footage used was clearly from test explosions, they feel much more authentic and therefore more harrowing.

Naturally, my main motivation for watching was because of the location. Although clearly a model, seeing the ‘egg-box’ building partially destroyed reminded me of when they tore it down. I remember thinking at the time that the city centre looked like a war-zone, and that’s how it would look if Sheffield was attacked.

Overall, I found watching the film a moving, slightly upsetting experience. The narrative started out like any stereotypical ‘grim up north’ story, with a young man getting his girlfriend pregnant and being forced to marry her; this put in me in mind of ‘A Kind of Loving’ (1962), and, of course, ‘When Saturday Comes’ (1996) (The main bloke is even called Jimmy - possibly the inspiration for Sean Bean’s character).

However, the clever construction and gradual infiltration of the news commentary made me realise that this film was quite ahead of its time. The narration and frequent information that appears on the screen in text form provided some amazing insights into the reality of nuclear warfare. (As I understand it, a lot of professors and doctors were consulted during the writing process.)

I thought the acting was exceptional; especially in the aftermath of the nuclear attack when the families were forced to evaluate their chances of survival, and the make-up was very realistic. Some nice direction made it a pleasure to watch, and skipping ahead thirteen years at the end was an inspired move.

I really want to see ‘The Last Train’ now. Can’t believe I didn’t watch it when it was on television.

right, ive tried searching on search with this but to no avail, does anyone know where i can get threads from on dvd?? apart from ebay if poss..

your like the classic tina turner song...

Originally posted by ryan123

your like the classic tina turner song...

... he's a private dancer?...

haha i wish.. simply the best