Sheffield film 'Threads' - Megathread.

Many of the suburban scenes were filmed in Hillsborough, with the home of the main female character's parents being just off Endcliffe Park.

So special effects. Aren't they just terrible compared to today.

They're fine for the era and budget. It's the drama that matters. Perhaps you're the sort of person who thinks that the 1998 version of Pyscho is better than the Hitchcock version because it's in colour and doesn't use obvious studio rear projection for the driving scenes?

Hitchcock? Pah! Gus Van Sant is a perfectly adequate director.

Or was it just filmed in bits of Sheffield I never saw?

A lot of the post-attack sequences were shot in areas that were either derelict and subsequently demolished or redeveloped (e.g. the Royal Infirmary as well as derelict houses in Hillsborough [Dutton Road?]).

RAF Finningley is of course now the Robin Hood airport.

Jimmy's house was on Hawksley Road.

Ruth's house was on Rustlings Road.

The pub scenes were shot in The Nottingham in Broomhill.

The area around the Peace Gardens has been extensively redeveloped and the Town Hall cleaned up since Threads was shot.

The fire station was on Division Street, that's now "Bunglaows and Bears" I believe.

The Tinsley cooling towers are of course gone and Threads was pre-Meadowhall/Student Games redevelopment.

Much of the East End of Sheffield in those days did look a bit "post-atomic wasteland".

They're fine for the era and budget. It's the drama that matters. Perhaps you're the sort of person who thinks that the 1998 version of Pyscho is better than the Hitchcock version because it's in colour and doesn't use obvious studio rear projection for the driving scenes?

Hitchcock? Pah! Gus Van Sant is a perfectly adequate director.

Thank you for repeating the point that I was making - that despite the rather poor quality effects by todays standards it was still a gripping drama. Not sure why you then feel the need to have a go about my criticism of the film that actually never existed but there you go...

A lot of the post-attack sequences were shot in areas that were either derelict and subsequently demolished or redeveloped (e.g. the Royal Infirmary as well as derelict houses in Hillsborough [Dutton Road?]).

RAF Finningley is of course now the Robin Hood airport.

Jimmy's house was on Hawksley Road.

Ruth's house was on Rustlings Road.

The pub scenes were shot in The Nottingham in Broomhill.

The area around the Peace Gardens has been extensively redeveloped and the Town Hall cleaned up since Threads was shot.

The fire station was on Division Street, that's now "Bunglaows and Bears" I believe.

The Tinsley cooling towers are of course gone and Threads was pre-Meadowhall/Student Games redevelopment.

Much of the East End of Sheffield in those days did look a bit "post-atomic wasteland".

I had a sneaking suspicion it was the Nottingham but it's been a long time since I was in there. The rest of the East end bit of Sheffield I never saw, but a lot of it was familiar - the Division street, Peace gardens, and Rustlings areas were very familiar. Mind you the Division street area suddenly acquired many new flats from last time I was there!

Some of it looked like it was shot around Kelvin way - I remember those flats although I have no memory of them demolishing them which is odd.

Anyway, Sheffield couldn't have been 'nuked'- what with it being declared a Nuclear Free Zone.

Apologies if I'm late on this one.

I spotted that Threads, the infamous nuclear apocalypse movie is now available on Bluray. I am guessing that it will be a fairly limited run due to the nature of it.

Up to now, I have only seen it on 240p on youtube which was a pretty dismal experience.

I'm so looking forward to my copy arriving :)

I was only 6 in 1984 when it was released so I don't remember any of the filming. Does anyone have any memories of this?

Somewhere on this Forum I'm sure I read that the woman who peed herself on the Moor, after seeing the mushroom cloud over Sheffield Town Hall, was a local teacher.

Somewhere on this Forum I'm sure I read that the woman who peed herself on the Moor, after seeing the mushroom cloud over Sheffield Town Hall, was a local teacher.

Bet she got the pee taken out of her :P

I hope the blueray doesn't disappoint too much !

Apparently they did a new 2k scan for the blueray

but dont forget , you cant polish a t**d ! :D

Absolutely, wasn't expecting it to look new, it received it this morning. The image is of course grainy but definitely, the best release of it to date, The most noticeable improvement is the sound which has been cleaned up a fair bit.

I have just pre-ordered the dvd on amazon because i have never seen the film.I am a big fan of the similar 28 days later and 28 weeks later and i am legend.I think i will enjoy the film.