Sheffield film 'Threads' - Megathread.

Downloading it via usenet now. Never herd of this before, sounds interesting.

Downloading it via usenet now. Never herd of this before, sounds interesting.

Never heard of it? :o

It's still a powerful film evoking strong reaction when people see it even today. As with all Barry Hines work, gritty and thought provoking.

I just wondered whether anyone had seen the film Threads? It's a BBC docudrama made in 1984 about the effects of a nuclear attack on Sheffield.

I won't say loads more, but I thought it was a harrowing, atmospheric, brilliant film that was difficult to watch but harder to stop watching!

It's available on Google Videos for free too (just search 'threads' and it's one of the first results) - watch if you get chance!

Anyone agree/disagree?

They showed us Threads whilst we were at school....petrified me, I spent the next 6 weeks walking around staring upwards

My favourite bit when I watched it at school was the mushroom cloud going up over Debenhams on the Moor!!! Closely followed by the cat melting into the milk bottle... We used to watch it at least once a term, in the reign of Thatcher and Regan was over the pond... We all thought we'd be dead next week!!!

I watched it for the first time a few weeks ago via a streaming site (forget which one) and was really impressed by it. I was expecting a real shaby film with poor effects. I thought the way it was done really worked well, it was a tight budget but the lack of seeing things (like where the young boy is dead and all you see is his foot sticking up) helped to build the athmosphere of the film.

A very good film, but quite hard to watch even now.

Both Threads & The War Game can be viewed free in full on Google Videos as a single clip (unlike You Tube where they are split into many parts).

So, I've finally watched the documovie about Sheffield being nuked off the map. Can appreciate people may think it's a movie thread in the wrong section but the main question is really about Sheffield than the movie so...

So special effects. Aren't they just terrible compared to today. But still an exceedingly scarey movie in places... well worth watching....

The main thing that struck me was didn't Sheffield look different back then. I can't even identify half the places as time works it way on my memories, and I wasnt actually in Sheffield until getting on a decade later anyway..

So I can identify the Moor, even from the odd angles, big cheer for the Tinsely towers god bless em. The eggbox is recognisable obviously but there is so much that just isn't clicking, unlike the Full Monty and Four Lions where I could identify everything. So did Sheffield really change that much in the mid to late 1980's? Or was it just filmed in bits of Sheffield I never saw?