Sheffield film 'Threads' - Megathread.

Originally posted by madowl

In one part of the film, theres a protest out side the city hall, and in the crowd theres a very young looking me...:heyhey:

My wife was part of that protest too, haven't spotted her though.

The plot of "Last Train": A group of rail travellers are trapped in the tunnel between Chesterfield and Sheffield after a meteor impacts in Zambia. One of the passengers is a "girl-in-the-know" scientist in a minor position in the secret "Ark" project to save a nucleus of Humanity. She is carrying a cannister of cyrogenic gas which leaks and freezes the group (a policeman, criminal, pregnant girl, runnaway wife and children, failed businessman, solid kind of Yorkshire bloke and a good-looking girl to add sexual tension) for 50 plus years. When they've thawed out, they don't realise this and go about the aging ruins of Sheffield in the belief that have been "asleep" for a few days at most!?! They then get the idea from a grave stone that 14 years have alapsed. They manage to get an old van started (after 50 years??); explained by it being a Mercedes!?! Then go on a quest to find "Ark"; which is a giant hi-tec cryogenic complex located under a disused power station in Scotland. They spend most of the time arguing and fighting each other whilst running from aggressive natives who turn-out to be the children of the original "Ark" survivors. They discover the truth when they come across a late middle-aged couple who say they were only five when the great winds came.

In the end; they find "Ark" and discover that the girl scientist's boss and former lover, a ninety year-old, having lived there in solitude for thirty-five years. She ends his mania by smothering him with a cushion. I had this series on VCD; but gave it away. Sorry, if I still had it, I'd have sent you a copy! Kevin.

Originally posted by kev21662

The plot of "Last Train": A group of rail travellers are trapped in the tunnel between Chesterfield and Sheffield after a meteor impacts in Zambia. One of the passengers is a "girl-in-the-know" scientist in a minor position in the secret "Ark" project to save a nucleus of Humanity. She is carrying a cannister of cyrogenic gas which leaks and freezes the group (a policeman, criminal, pregnant girl, runnaway wife and children, failed businessman, solid kind of Yorkshire bloke and a good-looking girl to add sexual tension) for 50 plus years. When they've thawed out, they don't realise this and go about the aging ruins of Sheffield in the belief that have been "asleep" for a few days at most!?! They then get the idea from a grave stone that 14 years have alapsed. They manage to get an old van started (after 50 years??); explained by it being a Mercedes!?! Then go on a quest to find "Ark"; which is a giant hi-tec cryogenic complex located under a disused power station in Scotland. They spend most of the time arguing and fighting each other whilst running from aggressive natives who turn-out to be the children of the original "Ark" survivors. They discover the truth when they come across a late middle-aged couple who say they were only five when the great winds came.

In the end; they find "Ark" and discover that the girl scientist's boss and former lover, a ninety year-old, having lived there in solitude for thirty-five years. She ends his mania by smothering him with a cushion. I had this series on VCD; but gave it away. Sorry, if I still had it, I'd have sent you a copy! Kevin.

Ok, ok, this is sounding good..... so, who could trade me a copy of the DVD for something else...?

The 80's were a great time for films made in Sheffield. Let's face it, we were all pretty obsessed with the thought of a nuclear war and its after effects.

What better place to film the aftermath of a nuclear war than Sheffield? They probably didn't even have to spend that much on special effects.

Hi there. The series "The Last Train" has been shown twice in the last couple of months on the Sci-Fi channel on sky tv. It will probaby be repeated again shortly. I will keep my eye out for it and post you if it comes back on.

Originally posted by buffy

Hi there. The series "The Last Train" has been shown twice in the last couple of months on the Sci-Fi channel on sky tv. It will probaby be repeated again shortly. I will keep my eye out for it and post you if it comes back on.

Thanks very much for that Buffy - I haven't got the Sci-Fi channel.

I eagerly await your post!

In case you just want to borrow it, Broomhill library have the VHS and central have the DVD. Others might have it too, the library catalogue is linked to from the sheffield government homepage

IS a creepy film though the ending section goes on too long and there are a few too many cheesy moments (the stable scene for one). It was as if they didn't really know how to finish it.

Originally posted by Damon

You'd have to include 'Tales From A Hard City', the documentary about 4 Sheffield 'dreamers' (for which read 'mad people') made in 1994 - it's chokingly funny, though makes Sheffield look like a city of deluded nutters. And maybe it is.

Occasionally appears on late night Channel 4. It will make your jaw hit the floor and your sides will split.

Apologies to anyone on this forum who might actually be one of the 4 main people in the movie. Especially if you're the actor who can't drive who tries to get a sponsored car from Skoda.

**** I REMEMBER THAT REMEMBER THE MAD BALD GUY FROM THE WYBOURN PS NOT SHOUTING BUT FORGOT TO TAKE CAPS LOCK OFF:rolleyes:

I have been trying to think of the name of this movie for weeks so I am glad to have seen this. I can't remember much about it apart from the scene with the mushroom cloud where the woman wets herself. I will have to try and get a copy too to show the family.