Lancaster flying over Eccy Road

Went to Blackpool yesterday and they had an air show which included a fly past of a Lancaster bomber a Spitfire and a Hurricane .....BRILLIANT :hihi::hihi:

Did anyone notice the lanc only had 3 engines running

I think its number 2 engine was feathered :o

I know it has another 3 but Im sure they wouldn't shut down an engine use for the fun of it.

For anyone interested in visiting or finding out more about old aircraft; Aviation Heritage Lincolnshire is a Heritage Lottery Funded project bringing together 10 aviation sites including 3 RAF sites. Their website has details of all sites and events and you can download a 'passport' with details of each site from http://www.visitlincolnshire.com/aviation

Flew right of our house too - quite low.

The port inner engine was stopped and the propeller feathered.

It had been to a dispaly at Woodford apparently, and the engine was shut down as a precaution after an oil leak.

Was a great sound even with three engines!

Cheers.

There is some international concern among warbird enthusiasts that too many of these old aircraft are being lost at air shows. The recent loss of a Fairey Firefly of the Fleet Air Arm distressed many of us who served at sea with these superb aircraft. But to not let them be flown would be a terrible shame too. There are still gangs of P-51 Mustangs, Corsairs, Sea Furies out there, a lot of them racing. I live very close to a major international airport, which is frequently visited by a B-17 Flying Fortress, a B-24 Liberator, a DC-3, and a B-25 Mitchell. The Airport was the Standby Airport for Concords when JFK in New York was closed for weather or an accident. I used to think it was hilarious for the passengers to have to wait after spending enormous money to get to New York in a hurry. I bet the cabin crew got their ears bent by the self important VIPs on board.

Personally buck, I'd rather see the last but one of each type go out as a pile of twisted metal than see them all consigned to rot as pay-per-view static displays.

Unfortunately it may be regulation that grounds them before sentiment.

It's becoming increasingly difficult and expensive to operate these machines due to pointless European homogenisation rules - more of which are due next year.

Already DC3 / DC4 (and JU52?) passenger flights have stopped because of ridiculous regulations that require them to adhere to exactly the same standards as a B747 - no concessions.

I'm not talking maintenance and flight safety, they now need impossible conversions to provide silly things like armoured flight deck doors, inflatable escape chutes and instrumentation to fly full IFR. Clearly this is not feasible or affordable in old aeroplanes, so operators are simply not taking passenger flights.

Once they stop flying and making money, they will quickly corrode away in the corner of a damp hanger until the scrap man cometh. Lost forever.

was amazing, it went over my dad house at walkley just in tme for his 70th, he he he loved it, sure we managed to get a pic, was very low, very loud.

Was airframe mech on Lincolns in 52/53 at Waddington (49, 61, & 100 squadrons ) and we had a Lancaster in for a few days. Interesting to see the differences between them. Lanc had more dihedral but Linc much bigger. Sorry there arnt many Lincs about thesedays. The sound of RR Merlins still stir the blood.

Cool, I didn't see it, but i wonder if its a retro way of getting the Army involved in these riots?

I saw it fly over Sharrow on Sunday afternoon. Beautiful.

Thanks for all the info everyone.

I thought that's what it was :D So glad I was right. And hubs was asleep and I just know he doesn't believe me :roll:

Recognised sound, saw it and didn't believe it! Saw them often as a child.