Power steering problem on a fiat punto

hiya

the power steering has packed up on my sons x reg punto i know its electronic

but i have tried everything i can think of is there any one out there know how to fix the steering

plz help he cannot go out and driving me nuts sat about :hihi:

Edited by cheekychains
spelling

My sister has a x reg punto too and shes soo far spent £2500 fixing in the last 4 months, they are prone with problems! her power steering went the other month and she took it to Autozone on ecclesfield road. The guy that owns it is called Baz, his number is 07501469433. He wont be open today so ur best ringing tomorrow.

Probably a problem with Vehicle Speed Sensor wiring (common fault on these). Check over at http://www.fiatforum.com/punto/ - if you can't find an answer, sign up and post some details, and someone will have seen the problem before and be able to advise.

Have you checked the basics, fuses etc? They'll be maxi fuse, probably near the battery.

been on fiat forum checked looked and gave everything a dose of wd still no joy and no scrap yards seem to b open today

It sounds like the ECU that has failed. This is likely to be expensive (around £600 for a replacement).

People have driven Puntos without power steering, but it is difficult.

Puntos have a city button which activates a motor under the steering wheel. Its this motor what packs up, but its a pig of a job to replace.

Just fixed my girlfriends punto powersteering for £30. Just needed a new relayswitch.

I am pretty good with electronics dont think everybody could do it like that.

It is worth checking if soldering on the power assist motor is still in good condition good chance it is that and easy and cheap to fix before you spend a fortune.

I have seen punto steer assist motors where soldering has molted and disappeared in the heat.

Edited by dutch

Puntos have a city button which activates a motor under the steering wheel. Its this motor what packs up, but its a pig of a job to replace.

The button increases the assistance that the motor provides to the steering. The motor provides assistance all the time, which varies depending on the road speed.

....common fault on all Puntos ! - usually caused by constant , or overuse of the City button! - Should only be used to aid parking with !!:rolleyes:

all sorted it was the motor cost 80.00 and i fitted it my self well happy my lad can go out now and me and his mum can have some qt time lol x

all sorted it was the motor cost 80.00 and i fitted it my self well happy my lad can go out now and me and his mum can have some qt time lol x

....well done ! - but dont forget , with electric power steering it can go again anytime - be aware !