Should Sheffield Council re-think the 'Family Fun' weekend at Graves Park?

calling it a traveller fest

Fancy mentioning Travellers at a fairground style event eh? Whatever next?

Fancy mentioning Travellers at a fairground style event eh? Whatever next?

stereotyping thats the problem they are not Travellers there showmen it always happens on these threads they start off ok till a stupid comment.

stereotyping thats the problem they are not Travellers there showmen it always happens on these threads they start off ok till a stupid comment.

Showmen? I thought it was a fair???

I would have thought they were Travellers, seeing as they live in caravans and have to TRAVEL to each site, if you're not in a permanent home..aren't you classed as a traveller??

I would have thought they were Travellers, seeing as they live in caravans and have to TRAVEL to each site, if you're not in a permanent home..aren't you classed as a traveller??

a traveller is classed as gypsy and fairs are not gypsies

Ok, it's not a debate about travellers or showmen. It's about why there's trouble. In the local news kids aged between 12 & 15yrs were arrested there last night....at around 9pm. Why 12yr olds are out at that time i've no idea(or am I just getting old?).

Extreme thought i know but what if the whole area was fenced off & everyone was charged £15 to get in, hand stamped & then they get an amount of tokens to use for all the rides. Would that stop the trouble makers that are spoiling it for everyone?

It's a shame that something nice is put on & it ends up being tarnished by idiots trying to score a few points on each other.

But fairs have no fixed abode, instead they travel from site to site do they not? So that would make them travellers I would say.

Ok, it's not a debate about travellers or showmen. It's about why there's trouble. In the local news kids aged between 12 & 15yrs were arrested there last night....at around 9pm. Why 12yr olds are out at that time i've no idea(or am I just getting old?).

Extreme thought i know but what if the whole area was fenced off & everyone was charged £15 to get in, hand stamped & then they get an amount of tokens to use for all the rides. Would that stop the trouble makers that are spoiling it for everyone?

It's a shame that something nice is put on & it ends up being tarnished by idiots trying to score a few points on each other.

actually farrars fairs have security fence round them and security this fair is international funfairs and is not easy to security fence as easy

Ok, we'll agree to disagree, but I've just Googled it and the definition of the Funfair came up with '....a colllaborative effort between families of Fairground Travellers...a distinct culture related to their trade and Nomadic existence...'

Anyway, back on topic...:D

I went earlier in the day with my little ones. Perfectly suitable for a family. I wouldn't take them at night, but that is when the teenagers will congregate, being noisy and gregarious in the same manner I was, when I was a teenager. Anyone with any sense knows what is appropriate for their family with this type of event.

I went earlier in the day with my little ones. Perfectly suitable for a family. I wouldn't take them at night, but that is when the teenagers will congregate, being noisy and gregarious in the same manner I was, when I was a teenager. Anyone with any sense knows what is appropriate for their family with this type of event.

I was just about to post exactly the same.

Took my 2 year old yesterday and left about 5pm and it was most suitable for us as a family to enjoy.

Im 25 and can remember going to endcliffe park fair and the one on the park and ride (I think) and there were always trouble.

I would take my daughter to the fair again in the day but wouldn't stay after 6pm as thats when things can start to get silly.

Its just about using common sense I would close the fair either earlier or have more security measures put in place at the evening.

We had a wonderful day yesterday made a full day of it with the animals, play area and the added bonus of a few rides.

IMO the city centre beach fair thing is a little silly as you can't avoid it at least up at graves everyone has a choice if they want to attend.