1960's city centre shops

How about Bunny's out towards Shalesmoor, bought socks in bright luminous colours there. Wow, how cool was that

Can anyone actually recall where Bunnys was located? Was it within the Corporation Building at the bottom opf Snig Hill.

Alernatively can anyone recall who occupied these these buildings?

I think I remember the police being in residence at some time!

Does anyone recall the blind man who used to stand outside the Arcade on the Moor selling matches from a tray?

He seemed to be there is all weathers in a rain-coat and flat cap!

On 15/11/2005 at 14:52, lizelard said:

Robert Brothers (now mark one the moor)

pauldens (now debenhams)

Schofields (now argos super store angel st)

Hornes menswear (opposite the argos superstore)

Jean barrie's ladie's wear (now dixons fargate)

Joan Barrie I worked there.

On 15/11/2005 at 17:20, Greybeard said:

Couple of men's outfitters not metioned are Dunn's, corner of High St and Haymarket, - and Austin Reed's on the corner of Chapel Walk and Fargate where Link is now. STR a Barney Goodman's in town too...Pinstone Street ?

C&A Modes was where Primark is now (site of bombed out Fifty Shilling Tailors) - always was a cheap-jack corner that :D.

Redgates toy shop was where S&E Co-Op is now and there was another Davey' Café on the corner of Haymarket and Castle Street.

There were lots of Banks and Building Societies that have gone, but I never had any money then so took little notice :P

Should never. Had nocked down S&E coop should have been listed I worked in office.

can I suggest having a look on Youtube to see a tram ride through Sheffield in 1960. Shop names I can recognise are Playfair at Moorfoot, two doors away from the Yorkshire Penny Bank.

On 15/02/2006 at 04:17, kensimmo said:

Can anyone actually recall where Bunnys was located? Was it within the Corporation Building at the bottom opf Snig Hill.

Alernatively can anyone recall who occupied these these buildings?

I think I remember the police being in residence at some time!

Bunny's  were located on the corner of Exchange Street and Waingate outside one of the entrances to the Castle Market. The Snig Hill store mentioned was probably Winstone's who also had a shop on S pital Hill, Pitsmoor.

Can't help wonder why rogil needed a list of shops and posted his/her original request all those years ago?!

I notice that in the 15 years this thread's been running, rogil's only managed a total of 8 posts.

Anybody remember Proops' on the corner of The Moor & Cumberland Street? They sold an odd assortment of science-based gadgets.  I still have the Crooke's Radiometer I bought in 1966 which still works (but not very well).  The building is now a branch of TJ Hughes.

And Wilson Pecks in case you needed a piano

Toms  Gents Hairdresser  Charles St.

Maisies children's clothes shop on Cumberland Street.  Sold beautiful clothes.  My aunty used to take me there for ' special ' clothes in the 60s.  

Fattorini  jewellers on the High Street.  Bought my wedding ring from there 1974.

38 minutes ago, francypants said:

Maisies children's clothes shop on Cumberland Street.  Sold beautiful clothes.  My aunty used to take me there for ' special ' clothes in the 60s.  

Fattorini  jewellers on the High Street.  Bought my wedding ring from there 1974.

Wasn't Fattorini's in Barkers Pool, unless they had more than one shop.