Convertible car

porsche boxster its got to be the best sports two seater around.

That Clarkson video is dated 1999. He said he preferred the MG in mid 2003. Tiff Needell also speaks highly of the TF.

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=174911

sad I know....but watching TG on UKTV G2....getting a pre-fix before tonight, there is hamster testing the MR2, Barchetta and the MX5.....cuts back to the studio and JC says he'd sooner have the MGTF.....woohoo...now how did I miss that episode.....or was it subliminally transmitted into my mind when I bought mine last July

Rather than listen to reviews though you have to drive it and see which you prefer. I prefer a mid engined 2 seater any day.

Edited by alchresearch

That Clarkson video is dated 1999. He said he preferred the MG in mid 2003. Tiff Needell also speaks highly of the TF.

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=174911

Rather than listen to reviews though you have to drive it and see which you prefer. I prefer a mid engined 2 seater any day.

+1 - if its not, it's not a sports car.

But then again the thread is about convertibles like my Freelander.

Why not buy one of these.

Oh, :o that looks awful!

Am I missing something

Convertible car

just wondered has anyone ever owned one what car was it and what are they like to live with?

Edited by esme
quote tags

I had a Big Healey, a couple of MGBs and a Midget when I was younger. They were all 'rag tops' (though I did have a removable after-market 'hard top' for one of the 'B's.

If the weather was a bit 'iffy' I tended to ride with the tonneau cover over 3/4 of the car and an umbrella readily available (for use at traffic lights.)

The covers on 'rag tops' do tend to stretch after a while, but it's not too difficult to tighten them (and replacement covers [which used the existing front attachment bar] were comparatively cheap.

The removable hard top wasn't very practical. If you had it on the car, you would probably find that the weather turned warm and you couldn't take it off (because there was nowhere to stow it.) If you didn't, it would probably rain.

As Uptowngirl noted, if you buy a tin-top convertible then although you have the advantage of a good top which can be put up and taken down in a few seconds, you lose most of your luggage space. (I considered buying a Volvo C70 and a BMW tintop convertible recently - but scrapped the idea of both of them for that reason.

You aren't necessarily limited to expensive machinery. Ford do a Focus tintop (UK & Europe - not available in the US.)

I don't think I'd bother buying another convertible. A bike goes through traffic far more easily than does a car.

A bike goes through traffic far more easily than does a car.

The ultimate "soft top" :D

Am I missing something

Yep - if you posted the whole of my quote instead selecting bits to suit yourself.

I mentioned "sports cars" and didn't want the thread to move off topic.

Yep - if you posted the whole of my quote instead selecting bits to suit yourself.

I mentioned "sports cars" and didn't want the thread to move off topic.

Not that I want to pick a fight with a mod but what are you talking about :huh: “selecting bits to suit myself”

This is the whole of the post not that it makes any difference to what I posted, the thread is about convertibles, the OP didn’t specify futher than that.

+1 - if its not, it's not a sports car.

The OP

Convertible car

just wondered has anyone ever owned one what car was it and what are they like to live with?

The ultimate "soft top" :D

You can buy 'hard top' bikes. Like this one. :hihi:

They're not made any more (unfortunately.) They were somewhat over-priced and although they have a roll cage and a full four-point harness, in the UK they were never exempted from the helmet requirement.

Im selling my Mk1 MX5 .. its a P plate but just in the process of switching back from a private plate.. its a brilliant runner and never had anything major wrong with it .. only brake pads and new tyres etc .. had a new hood fitted to it last year too so its not a leaky car ..lol. let me know if your interested :) Oh its black :D