Toddler wandering onto a dual carriageway

I was driving back from Meadowhall yesterday evening at approx. 7:40 pm, heading up Prince of Wales Road, and nearing the junction with City Road. We spotted on the other side of the carriageway (I think it was near the end of Queen Mary Road) a toddler of around 2 years old wandering out onto the carriageway, completely unattended. We flashed the cars heading towards him and pulled over and rang the police. We could not believe how irresponsible some parents can be...how could you ever allow a 2 year old to wander off onto a dual carriageway? What's wrong with people? Does anybody know if the toddlers okay?

Perhaps the parents had just died? Seriously, don't be so quick to judge. Sometimes stuff happens that you'd never plan or intend, it's not an obvious case of child neglect.

Glad that you did the right thing - did you need to call the police?

Who else should you call if you see a small child wandering around unsupervised?

Maybe they had died, and yes I am being quick to judge. But chances are they are simply bad parents.

I understand that you phoned the police but they would have took a while to get there, so what happened in the meantime, ie who stopped the child getting run over if he was in so much danger ? As you don't appear to know what happened to the child did you drive off!

Who else should you call if you see a small child wandering around unsupervised?

On the basis that most front doors don't have axe murderers behind them I'd have knocked on a few to find where the child belonged and then returned it home, most likely to a fretting parent. Yea, maybe after that I might have decided on a further course of action, but the police wouldn't have been my first thought.

This happened recently in my home town. The mother was charged with child endangerment.

A few weeks ago a little toddler with a nappy was walking about on Queen Mary Road, playing on the road with his sibling who was only a few years older.

That's shocking. Hope the toddler is okay. Did you wait with him till the police came?

A few weeks ago a little toddler with a nappy was walking about on Queen Mary Road, playing on the road with his sibling who was only a few years older.

Some parents really don't give a hoot do they? Makes you wonder what else goes on.