House training a puppy

Got me self a little puppy he will be 11weeks on monday. Had him about two weeks roughly. If i leave my back door open he does his business outside threw the day he's quickly catched onto that but threw the night he'll pee and poo on his training pad and then bits everywhere else too. I can honestly say it didn't take this long to train my bitch i've got. Anyone know if his age should be able to hold his business by now or is this still alright.

11 weeks is very young for a pup to be holding it all through the night. If you really want to get the message across that toileting in the house is a no no then unfortunately theres nothing else for it but to get up in the night and nip him out then pop him straight back to bed. Graduallly you can move the middle of the night toilet break back each night till hes able to hold it through the night.

If you dont fancy the middle of the night trip to the garden you could try puppy pads or put newspaper down, but Im persoanlly not a fan as I think it discourages pups trying to him it through the night. If your getting up he'll try and hold it till you come down.

I do leave a pad down for him and he does use it but once its full he just does it everywhere else lol. It hasn't discouraged him to do his business out side during the day so there alright. If you think its still early then fair enough i don't mind. Its what happens with puppies just wondered if he should still be doing it thats all.

Yes love he is too young and stereotypically will have mishaps for weeks to come. Like a baby. :)

My molly came here at 4 months old, with no grasp of toilet training, a few slack months on and then lots of hard work she now toilets outside (13 months old). We have the odd accident but she does it out of the way, and its usually my fault! Just keep going, it'll happen soon but he is very young still :) xxx

It'd be much easier if you crated him overnight, he won't soil his bed. Obviously you'd have to put him to bed after toileting very late and get up very early, and possibly take him out during the night too. I know they're all different but ours was fine overnight at 14 weeks if we put her at bed at about 11pm and got up at 6am, but she was crated and so never had an accident overnight.

I wouldn't leave the door open either, better he learns that going out needs you to open the door for him, that way he should learn to go to the door when he needs to go. We started leaving the door open when the weather got warmer last year and she seemed to forget the difference between inside and out so I stopped leaving it open and then she was ok again.

You should of course be accompanying him outside every time anyway to reward him for going outside and to make sure he doesn't do anything daft while he's outside!

Mine were ok overnight quite early on too (both crate trained) but I have to add that if he can't hold it, he WILL soil his bed if he has no choice. I personally prefer to get a crate with space for a bed and a pad. They'd still rather not toilet in their bed area so will try to hold it but if they can't it means they don't have to toilet in their bed if there's a pad in there for them :)

Thanks but i don't like to crate them. I did consider it before i got him cause i have another dog aged one but they got on fine so didn't. Puppies will do mess its what comes wit the fun but with him going out to do it its like he knows not to do it in the house but obviously just can't help it threw the night. He'll grow out of it. I've only been having back door open cause its been warm weather its been shut today and he'd sit next to back door when he needed to go so he's not daft.