Sayings: How did they start?

We've all heard common sayings many times, but how and when did they start? I believe that 'keep it under your hat' refers to archers keeping a spare bowstring under their hats to keep it dry. I also know that 'as mad as a hatter' refers to the effect that working with lead products had on people who made top hats, but what about the many others? For example, where did the phrase 'a different kettle of fish' come from? Does anyone know the origin of other phrases common to the English language?

Sensible and accurate replies only please!

ps. don't bother reccommending a book or google, it takes the fun out of the forum.

pps. let's keep football out of it shall we?

Edited by SiSiSi

I also know that 'as mad as a hatter' refers to the effect that working with lead products had on people who made top hats

Actually, it was mercury, not lead;).

People said them and then others repeated them, that's how they all start.

I know it's not a saying but I was watching a programme the other day and it had a bit on it about the derivation of sticking two fingers up.

Can't remember the exact details (was on phone at the time)

Apparently, in battles of yore, archers were the ones who caused the initial damage to the enemy. If the enemy caught them, they chopped off the two fingers they used to **** the bow ensuring they'd never be able to fire an arrow again.

At the end of a battle, the winning sides archers would taunt the defeated enemy by showing them the two fingers (that hadn't been cut off), proving they'd won. :)

I know it's not a saying but I was watching a programme the other day and it had a bit on it about the derivation of sticking two fingers up.

Can't remember the exact details (was on phone at the time)

Apparently, in battles of yore, archers were the ones who caused the initial damage to the enemy. If the enemy caught them, they chopped off the two fingers they used to **** the bow ensuring they'd never be able to fire an arrow again.

At the end of a battle, the winning sides archers would taunt the defeated enemy by showing them the two fingers (that hadn't been cut off), proving they'd won. :)

A popular myth but incorrect

A popular myth but incorrect

Well it can't be that popular ... I'd never heard it before! What's the reason then? :huh:

Sayings are a part of language because they paint a picture to express a particular line of thought that is possible alien to the person trying too portray that line of thought needs something to draw on that the other party can make a mental picture of and understand the concept.

Its all about being descriptive with language.

Well it can't be that popular ... I'd never heard it before! What's the reason then? :huh:

Nobody knows. That's why the archery myth has taken root; people like to have an explanation even if it isn't an accurate one.

It has been suggested that it's something to do with the devil's horns, but that doesn't really hold water either; the index and little fingers would look more like the devil's horns.

Nobody knows. That's why the archery myth has taken root; people like to have an explanation even if it isn't an accurate one.

It has been suggested that it's something to do with the devil's horns, but that doesn't really hold water either; the index and little fingers would look more like the devil's horns.

Ok, I'll go along with you then, I don't know enough about it to comment otherwise.

You must admit, it's quite a believable myth though (to my way of thinking anyway) I guess this is where truth becomes lost in the annals of time and heresay becomes fact.

Personally, I imagine all captured archers were dispatched in a more terminal way rather than just having their fingers cut off! :)

You must admit, it's quite a believable myth though (to my way of thinking anyway)

I believed it when I heard it. However, people have investigated and there's no record of this story ever having been told before about 1850 or something. It clearly does not date back to the time when we actually had archers.