Wanted: House to do up & advice

Hello, just discovered this site today!

We currently live in Glossop and are planing to sell our house (under offer), bank the cash and then whilst living with family look for a house to do up in an area commutable to Shef. My husband is about to start a new job in Shef so it's got to be commutable to there, somewhere in a nice area that needs some TLC but will be a good family home for us to start having sprogs, plus must have room for me to start my biz from.

Can anyone please advise on areas that are up and coming, and that we can make a few quid on when we sell it on? We plan to work on the 'worst house in best street' principle to ensure we buy in an area that will only increase in value. We know the Chesterfield area pretty well, any other suggested locations would be appreciated!

Thanks!

It all depends on your budget and priorities .West side of the city is the best part to live in overall.

However i feel the house prices are so overpriced and is worse given the practise of bidding in this part of the world.

In comparison Southeast of sheffield is reasonably priced and good value for money.There are some pockets of good areas you can choose from if you do your homework.

The price differential is so glaring that in near future my hunch is that the house prices in southeast would go up and would become the upcoming areas.I'm sure it will also prove a better investment.Another bonus feature would be the easy commutability if your husband's work involves travelling.

You will find it useful to look up on the previous thread 'best areas to live in sheffield' where quite a few people including me have shared our thoughts on this subject

Thanks for that Bluebird. Yeah I've had a look on that other section too, starting to get a feel for particular areas. I'll have to make friends with evil estate agents in order for them to alert me in the future to scruffy houses in those sort of areas as and when they come up.

Thanks for the advice!

Have a look at Mark Jenkinson auctioneers website. They sell the run down properties in Sheffield at auction.