Electricity Problem In Car

Hello -

Someone pulled up at the side of me today and said I had no break lights. When I got back I faffed about with the bulbs and they work again. However, every time I press the breaks now the dash lights up. I guess I've done something, but what?

thanks

Sounds like you rubbed the bulbs-up the right way, you still got it.

The dashboard should light up when you put on your sidelights on therefore you must have got a short circuit between the brake light circuit and the sidelights circuit.

Before you do anything make sure that you have used the correct brake light bulbs, if you put in a single coil sidelight bulb Into a double coil brake light socket it can cause the problem you mentioned.

Sounds like a bad earth to me, check all earth wires and earth points on the body, clean them up if you have to with a wire brush and tighten them back up. start with the battery earth first though.

You may have got the wrong bulbs in your brake lights. There are single and double filament bulbs and sometimes if you fit the wrong bulbs it can cause your headlights to light up when you press the brake which might explain your dashboard lighting up as that is connected to the headlight circuit on the car...might be worth checking that as it is a dangerous situation if your headlights flash when you brake obviously if someone thinks you are flashing them to pull out...seen that loads of times from my motor trade days.