Urgent - saab 900 ignition barrel needed & fitting tomorrow

I need someone to come out and fit me an ignition barrel for a 1997 Saab 900 Auto tomorrow please, mine has ceased up after my daughter spreayed WD40 inside it and i cant turn the key to start the car.

Please PM me if you can come out and fit one - I cant start it to drive to a garage.

Cash waiting as I REALLY need this done tomorrow!

That sounds really odd, WD40 casuing a lock to seize up. As you already think its knackered, I would try even more WD40 and let it work its way in. Keep trying it and keep putting the key in and out.

Good luck, sounds a nightmare!

Everytime i fix the car somethig else goes wrong with it, last time it was for sale the back brake seized up. Cant win!

Would WD40 really cause an ignition barrel so seize up?

I doubt WD40 would cause it to sieze up, it should do the very opposite. All I can think is something else (foreign body) has been inserted into the lock and that is causing the problem. One question, why did your daughter put WD40 in in the first place? Was it an attempt to solve an error on her part?

The other possibility is that there is loads of dust/crap in the lock and the WD40 has casued it to liquify, try a straw and blowing hard, I would certainly put some more WD40 in.

Edited by Sam @ Dearne
spelling

She was sat in the car and the can was in the door card, she sprayed it all over the centre console area round the ignition barrel (which are located in the centre on most SAAB's)

More WD40? Ok, well, its already broke so worth a try!

Being a saab is it still fully in gear? Most of them won't let you take the key out without the car in gear. Or as it's an auto she's not somehow stuck it in to something apart from drive/park?

Other option that occurs to me is that spray of wd40 on the console has shorted a sensor for the gear lever position so the car thinks it isn't in a place that it will allow the engine to start.

Yes its an auto and the car is in the P position. Someone said to wait till it dries out, but WD40 to my knowledge wont dry??

It will dry especially as it's so hot at the moment. I'd be trying it again in the morning. Does the key turn at all? Before if you've tried to start it in the wrong place etc would it move at all? Basically think back to anytime it's felt similar before and see if you can find anything that might the be same as now.

when we had our doors done the fitter said not to use wd40 in locks, just had a google and its mixed whether to use it or not.

have you tried your spare key(you never know) or you could try cleaning the wd40 out with some brake cleaner.

good luck i hope its sorted soon.

I have some nasty contact cleaner spray that might get rid of the WD40 if it still won't start tomorrow.

No the key wont turn at all but it goes into the lock fine, its almost as though something wont disengage in the barrel to allow it to turn. I have never had this problem before no. Key feels like same going onto the lock just wont turn.

Are you sure you haven't just engaged the steering lock? Try moving the steering wheel from side to side while turning the key.