Ecclesfield Road Speed Limit

Just one thought. The CPS website defines the examples of what is 'Careless or inconsiderate driving'?

A person drives carelessly or inconsiderately when the way they drive falls below the minimum acceptable standard expected of a competent and careful driver.

Examples of inconsiderate driving include:

flashing lights to force other drivers to give way;

misusing lanes to gain advantage over other drivers;

unnecessarily staying in an overtaking lane;

unnecessarily slow driving or braking;

dazzling other drivers with un-dipped headlights.

Not being judgemental as speed should be dependant on conditions and numerous other factors as correctly stated the national speed limit is a maximum.

Regards

Edited by Brinny
For spelling

Sorry, but its a real pain in the rear. Its a national limit, single carriageway... not 40mph! I'm still a chuffing learner and dont do 40 on there. The Blonde is right too.. get failed for going to slow (ie a bend on a national says max speed 50 and you go 30 on your test - big no no, go 10 mph less than the limit at the very most.)

it,s 40 for me all way in my truck ,would like to go at 50 but you never know who is behind you

Some people who drive on this road haven't a clue what speed to go at when they go past the national speed limit sign past Woolly Woods. It should be 60 on there and you sometimes get stuck behind someone doing 40, its right annoying sometimes!:rant:

Maybe you're just unlucky enough to be behind someone in a car with an engine management fault and the car is in limp mode?

60mph is the upper limit. There is no lower limit and it is your responsability to overtake safely if you can. It is not the other motorists problem.

You need to chill a bit as its not a long 60mph stretch so would save you 5 mins at most.

Actually, I've just done a check on Google Maps (sad, or what :D). The National speed limit section is just 1 mile long, with 30 limits at each end. So travelling at 60 mph would take 60 seconds. Travelling at 40 mph would take 90 seconds. So being forced to limit your speed to 40 mph would add 30 seconds to the journey. Even this is an overestimate. Accelerating up to 60 and braking down from 60 must be done in that 1 mile section. So the delay is even less. Hardly something worth getting upset about.

Just one thought. The CPS website defines the examples of what is 'Careless or inconsiderate driving'?

A person drives carelessly or inconsiderately when the way they drive falls below the minimum acceptable standard expected of a competent and careful driver.

Examples of inconsiderate driving include:

flashing lights to force other drivers to give way;

misusing lanes to gain advantage over other drivers;

unnecessarily staying in an overtaking lane;

unnecessarily slow driving or braking;

dazzling other drivers with un-dipped headlights.

Not being judgemental as speed should be dependant on conditions and numerous other factors as correctly stated the national speed limit is a maximum.

Regards

I would love to know if anyone has ever been done for travelling at 40 in a 60 limit.

Some people who drive on this road haven't a clue what speed to go at when they go past the national speed limit sign past Woolly Woods. It should be 60 on there and you sometimes get stuck behind someone doing 40, its right annoying sometimes!:rant:

I sometimes use this road. I am aware that the speed limit (in places) is 60, but travel at 40 so as to avoid shaking the rivets out of my car. The road surface is terrible. But I guess that it is a reflection of the area.

Actually, I've just done a check on Google Maps (sad, or what :D). The National speed limit section is just 1 mile long, with 30 limits at each end. So travelling at 60 mph would take 60 seconds. Travelling at 40 mph would take 90 seconds. So being forced to limit your speed to 40 mph would add 30 seconds to the journey. Even this is an overestimate. Accelerating up to 60 and braking down from 60 must be done in that 1 mile section. So the delay is even less. Hardly something worth getting upset about.

i think you will find it,s 30 at one end and forty at the other end

i think you will find it,s 30 at one end and forty at the other end

It is 30 at the meadowhall end, across from the play area and houses. It is 40 at the Ecclesfield End.

I would love to know if anyone has ever been done for travelling at 40 in a 60 limit.

once got asked by a copper can i drive a bit faster please as you are doing 39 on a national speed limit road i replied no i,m legaly obliged to do 40 on a single carriageway in anything over 7.5 ton and my vehicle weighed about 40 ton at the time so just carried on at my speed of 40 mph

To be honest....I agree drivers should have more patience....I myself am unfortunately impatient at times....however on the flip side I believe drivers who are incapable of driving confidently, decisively and competently should be banned in the same way as drivers who drive too fast as it is clear that they are a danger to other road users.

At the end of the day the roads are there so that people can carry out their daily routines. I'm not saying break the speed limit or drive carelessly(quite the opposite) but please drive confidently, learn how to park and carry out manoeuvres in your vehicle. And to those of you who buy cars without test driving them first, if you are not confident driving you car, buy a smaller car or use the bus, you will save the majority of road users a lot of pain and frustration. ;)

I believe that there should be an automatic 6 months driving ban for anyone who doesn't have the emotional maturity to keep calm because somebody in front is driving slower than themselves.

That should teach them the arts of patience and perspective and make them safer on the road.

Well said Tony ....!

There has been numerous accidents on that road in the last year , some people who live near that road refuse to travel at the "speed limit of 60mph" because they know of the accidents , as I do . My personal opinion would be that the speed limit reduced to 40 mph road because as soon as some of the people who do speed come of this road they simply don't drop to the 30mph when coming off it and speed round the corner onto shiregreen estate, this has caused god knows how many accidents in the last year also including Cars going onto gardens and cars going into the woods where some kids play .!!