New laptop-PC World

I am about to replace my laptop.I have bought almost all my IT stuff from PC World for over 10 years with no trouble at all. When I look at this section of SF people are always very anti PC World.Question is:do I stick with them or tell me where I should go to buy.I have about £500 to spend.

Never used them myself but the main concern seems to be with staff knowledge.

From what i've heard they will sell you a product they judge as being suitable when it's not, trying to shift older harder to sell stock etc.

Best bet would be to have a look at their lappys and then post here with as much detail of the spec and it's intended use, before you purchase.

There's nothing particularly wrong with PC world, people just sometimes find their sales techniques a little 'under-hand'. However, you will get a much better deal from Ebuyer, the online Sheffield IT retailer. They much better deals than PC World will offer and I don't see any reason to go in to a shop. Take a look at Dabs too and compare the prices of each - both reputable places.

http://www.ebuyer.com

http://www.dabs.com

I am about to replace my laptop.I have bought almost all my IT stuff from PC World for over 10 years with no trouble at all. When I look at this section of SF people are always very anti PC World.Question is:do I stick with them or tell me where I should go to buy.I have about £500 to spend.

John lewis are better than PC World (IMHO), not that I've bought much stuff from there, I tend to buy online. My OH bought a new laptop from JL and upon going to PC world the day after (to get a BB dongle) we noticed the same laptop for ~£100 more.

John Lewis are much better than PC World.

If you know what you're looking at/for, then I recommend buying direct from the manufacturer online. Dell often have good deals on.

If you know what you're looking at/for, then I recommend buying direct from the manufacturer online. Dell often have good deals on.

Dell's aftersales service if it goes wrong is absolutely diabolical.

PC World have some great offers on, as do Currys & Comet. Depends what you need the laptop for.. Try to stay away from HP and Compaq though, they fill their laptops with their own resource hogging software that slows things down something terrible even when new. Good reliable laptops though..

I think sometimes there's a fashion where some people hate certain companies because they've read something bad about them and then follow like sheep, PC World are one of them. Apple look to be the next..

My advice is if you've been treated well at a shop, and the product has lasted, go back..

Edited by Space

I recommend going direct to Dell, as I do to all my customers, because they have been good, according to all the people i've spoken to. But like all these things, its subjective, some people have good experiences with one company, while others will have very bad experiences with the same company. So its completely subjective and you can't just rule out an entire brand because of one bad experience.

I don't want to get off topic, but since when have HP and Compaq laptops been considered good and reliable? I get more HP laptops in for repair than any other make, most of them due to overheating faults after just a year of use, when they're just outside of warranty. Compaqs are really cheaply built, awful, just like Acer - from my experience of using lots of them since starting in the repair business.

price wise they are, I didn't find the staff at JL any more knowledgeable than in PCW.

I get more HP laptops in for repair than any other make

We've got 16 at work, some of them are now 5 years old.. all have been fantastic and are on 18 hours a day.. I suppose it's with them being one of the biggest brands in the PC market that you get more in than any other? HP and Compaq are the same company aren't they?

The problem with PC World is that the Staff are clueless.

I heard a member of staff telling someone looking at an ipad that he could get word and excel for it for 'ten dollars', and that if he wanted to put lots of apps on it he would definitely need more than 16GB. This was in the Meadowhall Retail Park Store.

This is typical of PC World - sell the customer a more expensive model, lie about why they need it. They then follow this up with over priced add ons. They'll try to sell you Norton Antivirus, even though there are better FREE alternatives.

That said, they are not bad on price, and its worth reserving online before you go in as its sometimes cheaper. So if you go in knowing what you want - tell them you are not interested in their advice or idiotic lies and just buy the one you want you should be ok.

. Try to stay away from HP and Compaq though, they fill their laptops with their own resource hogging software that slows things down something terrible even when new. Good reliable laptops though..

You can always delete the rubbish.

I've got a 5 year old HP NX6110......reliable workhorse.

We've got 16 at work, some of them are now 5 years old.. all have been fantastic and are on 18 hours a day.. I suppose it's with them being one of the biggest brands in the PC market that you get more in than any other? HP and Compaq are the same company aren't they?

Sorry, I assumed you meant consumer/home laptops, as those are the ones that have the most problems. I would expect the business ones to be better.