Ebay - postage limit rip-off?

As many of you know, to send a dvd via Royal Mail can cost as little as 80p, so the current £1.25 maximum ebay postage limitation is fine in that case.

But supposing that you are selling a double disk edition dvd? It now costs as much as £1.70 or more (depending upon packaging/dvd case), so we lose out by 45p to start off!

I was told there are more options on the advanced seller, but haven't seen that? If not, there ought to be an option for a two/three/four dvd disk set?

Select courier option or list it in the wrong category. Ebay is becoming a bigger rip-off by the day!

I have to agree and disagree with the op i'm afraid.

As a seller some of the restrictions on dvd postage is rubbish, it barely covers the cost of the effort and Royal Mail fee,same on mobile phones and blue tooth items with restricted postage charges.

But some seller charges are ridiculous - car number plate bought for 99p cost £4.51 for p&p, which i paid 'cos it was still cheap,but it didn't cost that to mail it out.

People have found similar selling books and jeans, both of which weigh quite heftily!

The problem has been that many ebayers have added to their profits by outrageous mailing charges,

Whenever I sell on eBay I always use recorded delivery, purely cos I don't trust Royal Fail not to lose stuff.

But some seller charges are ridiculous - car number plate bought for 99p cost £4.51 for p&p, which i paid 'cos it was still cheap,but it didn't cost that to mail it out.

But how do you know how much it cost to mail it out? It would be stupid to mistake the cost of the stamps for the cost of P&P.

A seller has to find packing materials, tape etc. He has to pack your item and arrange to get it to the Post Office. On top of that Paypal charge a fee for collecting the P&P as well as the price of the sale item. This rarely occurs to the stamp counters.

Some sellers take the postage, plus ebay fees and paypal fees into account (and try to cover themselves if the item only sells for 99p) when they price the postage.

Clothing for example, the limit is £4. A Tshirt probably costs about £1.80 to send, but they'll still put £4 in, just because they can.

Heavier items can cost £4 though, like big bulky coats. I once had a long dress listed, it was thick material, and had a few layers, and it was HEAVY. The postage was set at £4, to fit in with the limits, but the winning bidder was in Singapore. I instantly thought "Oh God" and as I knew it would cost about £7 (going by standard parcels in a box) to the UK, I charged them £14. It ended up only costing £9 by Airmail.

Ebay have a hard time with this, on the one hand they have buyers moaning they get charged too much and on the other they have sellers moaning they can't charge enough to actually post the item.

They shoudl have just left it as it was, and let the buyer decide if they are willing to pay what the seller is charging.

Ebay have a hard time with this, on the one hand they have buyers moaning they get charged too much and on the other they have sellers moaning they can't charge enough to actually post the item.

They shoudl have just left it as it was, and let the buyer decide if they are willing to pay what the seller is charging.

Sellers were moaning before when in certain categories, like Media or Mobile phones and accessories, they HAD to offer free postage. You had the huge sellers who could still churn out phone cases at 99p with free postage, and the smaller sellers who had to either lose money by charging no postage and leave the price at 99p, or up the price, and lose sales to the big boys. - I was selling iPhone cases at the time, and they cost me 61p to post as a large letter. I was charging £1.99 for the case. After the fees etc hardly worth it, yet some managed to sell them for 99p.

They asked for a fair postage on categories, and this is what they've ended up with.

The problem has been that many ebayers have added to their profits by outrageous mailing charges,

But every single last bidder knew the postage costs BEFORE they bid.Why people winge after the fact is beyond me.

Its simple really although im sure not to everybody but you just add the price you bid to the postage costs to work out the total.If you find it too dear then just dont bid.

Surely thats not rocket science is it?

Even wedding dresses come under the £4 clothing limit, I've just checked. They generally should be sent in a large box to avoid crushing, and weight an awful lot. Most sellers are listing as 'Courier' or Freight' postage and charging £10 or so. This is against the rules though, unless they genuinely are going to use a courier, which I bet most don't