Freeview Tuning/ Digital switchover megathread

While I would normally be the first to criticise the council on this occassion I can't. In fact I think it's to their credit.

Installing the digital aerials will remove the need for many elderly, poor and disabled people to have to do it come the switchover.

The installation will probably be of a decent/high spec to ensure decent reception (no offence intended to aerial installers on SF).

The cost is being partly born - I gather - by CG and possibly other sources.

It might go some way to preventing aerials being stuck all over communal buildings by having a central one.

I can't see the downside.

Ok - just a quick for and against.

The analog and digital transmissions come from the same transmitter, the digital signal is currently running at a low power transmission rate. http://www.aerialsandtv.com/emleymoortx.html states

870kW versus at most 10kW and should be upped by quite a bit to boost the range and quality. http://www.stevelarkins.freeuk.com/digitaltvswitchover.htm

So for - upgrade what you have, ensure it's 100% aligned, any re-wiring and wall-sockets done - without any post-upgrade problems.

Against - confusion, re-scheduling ect.

I hope this helps.

everyone will need a digital aeriel eventually we already have ours!!!

BT switched some years back from analogue to digital for our phone lines - did we need new phones/cable/sockets?

Nope - but we 'might' need a tweak with the ariel - as in essence the only difference realy is that the same type of ariel is used, just realinment (gales ect) and contracted for cables (through the hollows to home) and points (ports) in the home may need checking and refurbing/replacing.

So we all know - the analogue SKY we had? I could use the same dish, LNB to collect the same signal we now have on new digital sky.

So a call out was not needed - unless it was pointing the wrong way OR the cabling was bad...

Food for thought.

Rubbish, there is no such thing as a digital aerial and if you get your signal from Emley Moor I'm sorry but you've been conned.

The aerial I have has been there for donkey's years and receives a Freeview signal just fine.

The really big improvement came when I bought a premium aerial cable to connect the TV to the socket, rather than the el-cheapo one that came with the TV. Rock solid picture, no breakup.

Shame I don't have a TV any more as it's just lying in a box of electric cables at the moment.

Its the same as wiring.I was hooking up my freesat at weekend and was looking at wiring and the satelite wire was nearly £2-£3 quid more expensive than the co-axel.I spoke to a friend who works in AVA and he just laughed and told me its all the same wire and sorted me out with some co-axel,fantastic picture.

I have also used cheap co-ax without any problems in the past, however, it is not the same as what SKY provide. The one with the foil screen inside is designed specifically to stop moisture getting inside the wire and causing corrosion - a major factor in poor signal quality.

I have found this site to be by far the best at offering advice at all levels.

http://www.stevelarkins.freeuk.com/

Has anyone else in S20 completely lost BBC on freeview?? Its gone and its MOTOGP tomorrow what am I going to do????

:help:

I've still got it here in Beighton.

Have you tried rebooting the Freeview box/tv? (Turn it off, wait a few minutes, turn it on again, and go through the startup procedure all over.)

Tv been turned off and on again scanned for channels and they have dissapeared off the channel list. We have lost 1,2 and 3 but 4 is still showing proper random. Got an old box somewhere will try that later.

Recently had to call John Lewis's on fault with TV and the first thing that greets you when you select the TV department option is:

"If you receive freeview transmissions from Emley Moor you will not get any signal for approximately 8 weeks due to servicing of the transmitter".

swarfendor43

Recently had to call John Lewis's on fault with TV and the first thing that greets you when you select the TV department option is:

"If you receive freeview transmissions from Emley Moor you will not get any signal for approximately 8 weeks due to servicing of the transmitter".

swarfendor43

That could expain it! Bloody anoying gonna have to watch GP on analoge(sp) tomrrow oh the joy!

Thanks luv