Freeview Tuning/ Digital switchover megathread

Freeview High Definition is launched on 31st March in this area. I hope you haven't all rushed out to get a set top box for the digital switchover, because now you are going to need another one, for HD - about £180.

Got a TV with a Freeview HD tuner in it, though I believe the Sheffield area won't get broadcasts until 2011.

Anyway, BBC have lowered the bit-rate and HD pictures, at the moment, are near-identical to non-HD output.

Untrue. I revieve BBC HD via freesat at the minute, and while the quality has been reduced, it's still a considerable improvement over SD.

Plus, only BluRay can be got in 1080 format. The rest is just 720.

Also untrue, BBC-HD is broadcast at 1440x1080i.

The latest scam is 3D. Anybody rushing to buy a 3D TV must be mad. For a start, the output will be limited to crap like 'Avatar'. The big push will be when Sky starts pushing 3D sport.

On that we can agree, I don't envisage ever sitting in my front room wearing glasses to watch TV.

On that we can agree, I don't envisage ever sitting in my front room wearing glasses to watch TV.

some of us don't have a choice. :(

it's even worse trying to watch 3d stuff when you have to squeeze the cheap plastic specs on over your normal bins.

some of us don't have a choice. :(

it's even worse trying to watch 3d stuff when you have to squeeze the cheap plastic specs on over your normal bins.

try watching it with 70-30 vision, complete waste of time, was so looking forward to Avatar too!!!:(

BBC HD has kids shows in the afternoon. How good does that make you feel?

Well if they broadcast Spongebob then maybe I'd be happy about it but, since not I'm just overcome with apathy.

(Braces for the universe to implode)

Hope all you Freeview watchers realize that you are going to have to re-tune again

this Wednesday. There's an advert in Thursdays "Star" explaining it all !!!!!

Well if they broadcast Spongebob then maybe I'd be happy about it but, since not I'm just overcome with apathy.

(Braces for the universe to implode)

My underscore

I would be as well - but I really can't be bothered!! :hihi:

You mean for standard Freeview or FreeviewHD? TV tuner cards are cheap enough these days tho :)

For making use freeview HD, I will need a dual tuner DVB-T2 card. Can't even seem to find one let alone see how much it will be :confused:

Joys of not having a television eh? Oh well it's well worth it in the long run!

For making use freeview HD, I will need a dual tuner DVB-T2 card. Can't even seem to find one let alone see how much it will be :confused:

Same here, I've been looking for any products since the FreeviewHD service was announced.

Only joy so far has been Hauppauge:-

http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=70

Who say they'll have a USB single tuner possibly ready by the world cup :( So that's them out of the running then. I'm only interested in PCI/PCI-e.

Same here, I've been looking for any products since the FreeviewHD service was announced.

Only joy so far has been Hauppauge:-

http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=70

Who say they'll have a USB single tuner possibly ready by the world cup :( So that's them out of the running then. I'm only interested in PCI/PCI-e.

Oh dear, I would prefer PCI not USB and definately want a dual tuner so I can watch and record on Media Center. Not looking good :(

If you have Sky, then you can add ITV HD (Like I have).

Google it and it will tell you how.

I have sky and have all the pay for channels except espn and adult and their isn't a ITV HD channel

I have sky and have all the pay for channels except espn and adult and their isn't a ITV HD channel

Found out now by looking on the ITV website why I don't have it.

ITV HD is a red button servie (according to the website only available to freesat viewers not SKY subscribers).

I don't get time to watch programmes when they are on very often so relie on Sky+ 99% of the time so wouldn't be able to do this with a red button service. (I often miss out on my American Football team as they tend be be live on the red button on Sky Sports)