Freeview Tuning/ Digital switchover megathread

iv had the same problem when it rains the signal is bad

All transmitters are on full power in Yorkshire region unless engineering work taking place.

The more minor commercial services are only available on Emley moor - Crosspool - Belmont transmitters.

Belmont requires a wideband aerial however mutliplex channels C and D are at a lower power than the main BBC ones.

For information only Crosspool transmittered this multiplex on uhf 42 at 0.5kW until August then at DSO stage one moved to UHF 63 at 1kW and finally moves to UHF 49 at 1kW.

Emley moor was allocated UHF 49 until DSO stage 2

Could this be one of the answers?

Crosspool transmitter

PRE DSO this transmittered Analogue and Digital

Analogue BBC 1 - BBC 2 - ITV 1 - C4 was ok with a group A aerial or group W

Analogue C 5 required a group W aerial

Digital (Freeview) required a group E or W aerial

From DSO you require a group W aerial for Full freeview service on Crosspool

Different Aerials will only pick up signals within a range of UHF channels:

Group A = UHF 21 -37 Group B = 35 -53 Group C/D = 48 -68 Group E = 35 -68 Group K = 21 -48 Group W = 21 -68

Edited by silverknight
extra information added

Just a recap.

Here is a list of the UHF channels being used for Freeview from Wednesday 27th September 2010.

Different Aerials will only pick up signals within a range of UHF channels:

Group A = UHF 21 -37 Group B = 35 -53 Group C/D = 48 -68

Group E = 35 -68 Group K = 21 -48 Group W = 21 -68

Aerials are position either H = Horizontal or V = Vertical towards transmitter

Belmont will be using UHF channels 22 - 25 - 30 - 53 - 60 & 28 for HD service

aerial elements in H position

Emley Moor will be using UHF channels 44 -47 -48 -51 -52 & 41 for HD service

aerial elements in H position

Sheffield Crosspool will be using UHF channels 24 -27 -42 -45 -49 and 21 for HD service

aerial elements in V position

The mini relays in Sheffield do not transmit the FULL Freeview service:

You will only get BBC A - BBC B - D3 &4 multiplexes

None of this seems to explain why my TV is now OK (after a struggle) but on the Humax box the reception's bad and the electronic programme guide is only giving me details of the next 2 or 3 days instead of 8. It's infuriating, given that until switchover I had no problems, and had invested money in an aerial and good quality equipment that's now virtually useless.

I've been using a wideband aerial for years on analogue with no issues, then along comes digital and I've had nothing but trouble ever since.

I thought at first it was probably because Freeview channels were being transmitted on reduced power, now after DSO I'm still having problems even though the power has doubled.

If I could get all the Freeview channels on Freesat I wouldn't bother with Freeview.

I don't get so much as a flicker on all the Freesat channels.

Edited by Dozey

Do you actually let the auto tune run, or stop as soon as it gets going? And do you now get the 8-day programme guide? I've already tried a factory reset and a manual tune but will try again! The strange thing on mine is that some of the Emley Moor stations, especially BBC1, are very poor - but BBC Newcastle is perfect. And it's not the aerial, because BBC Leeds is fine on the TV.

Sorry for not replying earlier - our TV guide has always been a bit naff on the Humax - if used to take about an hour to restore if you put the box onto standby. Did a software update about a year back and this fixed that issue.

Regarding the distance into the future - just checked and it's just over 3 days. No idea how far it went beforehand though as we generally don't tape that far in advance.

For a manual tune - start an auto and then immediately press stop before any channels appear. This will clear all channels off the box. Then, do a manual tune using the channels from the link that I posted earlier. Check each channel for each transmitter to see which gives best quality and reception and choose which is best. I now get all mine from Emley Moor but after the tune before last I used the Crosspool transmitter for one MUX (is that the correct word?).

I got that link off someone else via this thread - it has proved very useful with all these retunes going on.

HTH

G

Anyone still having problems after the final re-tune today? I've still got picture break up and freezing on channels that were ok before.

Even the main commercial channels are freezing and breaking up now, the only watchable channels are the BBC channels.

Oh Dear what a **** up.

I've been using a wideband aerial for years on analogue with no issues, then along comes digital and I've had nothing but trouble ever since.

I thought at first it was probably because Freeview channels were being transmitted on reduced power, now after DSO I'm still having problems even though the power has doubled.

If I could get all the Freeview channels on Freesat I wouldn't bother with Freeview.

I don't get so much as a flicker on all the Freesat channels.

Same here,now i cant get any on freesat.Good job i have freesat.

Same here,now i cant get any on freesat.Good job i have freesat.

I've got freesat as well but we can't get all the freeview channels on freesat, unfortunately.