Freeview Tuning/ Digital switchover megathread

Not everybody has a HD tv, not everybody cares about HD, I'm sure the people who have bought set top boxes don't care because 1. They're about a tenner, and 2. They don't have to get a new box to watch their programmes.

Plus, what made you think people expected to be able to view HD on a standard box in the first place? The only people who are going to be affected by your post, are idiots who bought a standard box expecting to be able to view HD with it, which...kinda sounds like just you.

For a start, the postcode bit can be very misleading. Trees etc. can mean you can't get Freeview even if the postcode thing says you can.

A good rule of thumb is that, if you can get a get Channel 5 reception, you'll be able to get Freeview.

Next, HD has been a Godsend for the manufacturers as many, many muppets have bought 'HD Ready' TVs thinking that it will miraculously start producing HD pictures without them doing anything else. (A bit like buying a 'Sky-ready' TV and expecting it to show instant Sky). And that's before the armies of cowboys go round persuading people they must upgrade to an HD/digital aerial. Anyway, BBC have lowered the bit-rate and HD pictures, at the moment, are near-identical to non-HD output. Plus, only BluRay can be got in 1080 format. The rest is just 720.

The latest scam is 3D. Anybody rushing to buy a 3D TV must be mad. For a start, the output will be limited to crap like 'Avatar'. The big push will be when Sky starts pushing 3D sport.

However, the technology to view 3D without those ridiculous glasses is being worked on, leaving those daft enough to be 'first on the block' with 3D looking like somebody with a Betamax video recorder.

And if you don't want or don't care about HD, the £15/£20 ones from Argos are just fine.

It's posts like yours that confuse the uninitiated who think they HAVE to have one of these new boxes, when they don't and a bog standard Freeview box will suffice.

OK, they won't have HD, but a lot of people can't be arsed with it. I just cancelled it off my Sky sub.

As this thread is about HD, the op is merely giving a heads up to people that can "be arsed with it".

As this thread is about HD, the op is merely giving a heads up to people that can "be arsed with it".

Sounds like to me he is suggesting everyone with a normal Freeview box needs to start panicing. This sentence in particular:

I hope you haven't all rushed out to get a set top box for the digital switchover

2011 for for freeview HD in my area of S6

i have to say that the picture quality on HD is truly amazing love it the detail and picture sharpness and the colours are superb lovin it!

Not everybody has a HD tv, not everybody cares about HD, I'm sure the people who have bought set top boxes don't care because 1. They're about a tenner, and 2. They don't have to get a new box to watch their programmes.

Plus, what made you think people expected to be able to view HD on a standard box in the first place? The only people who are going to be affected by your post, are idiots who bought a standard box expecting to be able to view HD with it, which...kinda sounds like just you.

BBC HD has kids shows in the afternoon. How good does that make you feel?

BBC HD has kids shows in the afternoon. How good does that make you feel?

Your point being?

HD seems a bit hit and miss. trying to watch the football on itv last light on a lcd tv in regular definition, it was almost unwatchable, so grainy.

the bbc hd channel barely seems to make a difference though. strange. i suspect the bigger your tv, the bigger the difference. however, now i have blu ray player, watching standard dvd's feels like i have dirty glasses on. :)

i don't think a single sole has been 'mugged' into buying a hd ready tv - they bought them either because they needed a new tv, and these, for some time, are mostly all that is available, or because they look flash, and take up less space.

we got our ages back cos the flat we lived in at the time had very little floor space, and a big box tv seemed to fill the room.

no complaints here. some people must still point and scream at airplanes on this forum

HD seems a bit hit and miss. trying to watch the football on itv last light on a lcd tv in regular definition, it was almost unwatchable, so grainy.

Wel there is your problem. You were not watching it in HD!

Wel there is your problem. You were not watching it in HD!

lol! you know exactly what i was saying.