The contrasting levels of away followings of Sheffield clubs

Just a quick addition to yesterdays findings:

Since 1947 (and to the present day) Wednesday have held the highest average attendance

For 49 seasons and United for 15

I think what most Wednesdayites don't seem to get is that what the historical figures say is irrelevant.

Imo and most Blades I think, United's support has caught up and overtaken that of Wednesday. What Wednesday fans did in the 50's, 60's, 70's etc has no relevance to today.

United's core support has increased, of that there is no doubt. At the same time Wednesday's has decreased. This isn't an opinion, the figures actually back it up, it's fact.

The question is, will Wednesday's support ever return to what it was, and will United hold onto their newer support ?

Steady i suppose thought you would have Sold out with it being first game of the season and somewhere you havn't been for years. Surprised they have got rid of the train station in Oldham.

The below 1,000 you were originally referring too was the average away support you received last season. Nothing to do with the Oldham support.

Fair enough, but what would the OP know about away supporting?

As for Oldham, yea the train travel is a mess, first match or not, i for one am ashamed to be an attendee of 3rd division football. Home or away, BUT 2,800 tickets sold 5 days before the match is more than respectable.

I think what most Wednesdayites don't seem to get is that what the historical figures say is irrelevant.

Imo and most Blades I think, United's support has caught up and overtaken that of Wednesday. What Wednesday fans did in the 50's, 60's, 70's etc has no relevance to today.

United's core support has increased, of that there is no doubt. At the same time Wednesday's has decreased. This isn't an opinion, the figures actually back it up, it's fact.

The question is, will Wednesday's support ever return to what it was, and will United hold onto their newer support ?

My bold, sorry but thats rubbish, united's average attendance has dropped nearly 10,000 in the last 4 seasons!

I can't believe people are still arguing about this. It's the same discussion we used to have at 12-13 years old.

Go and watch Star Wars or something. A much greater use of ones time.

I can't believe people are still arguing about this. It's the same discussion we used to have at 12-13 years old.

Can't you go read a book or something!

I did, it was called 'The book of average attendances' it's a dam good read :hihi:

""dinosaurs bore me""

I'm a blade mate so i'm meant to be on your side but what is this quote?!

Are you absolutely mad????

My bold, sorry but thats rubbish, united's average attendance has dropped nearly 10,000 in the last 4 seasons!

Yes it has dropped from the Premiership season as only to be expected.

But It's massively increased from the few seasons before that which can't be denied. But we've just been relegated to the 3rd tier with an average attendance of over 20'000. That wouldn't have happened not so long ago.

I'm at work and haven't the time to look at the figures and go into detail but I stand by what I said. United's core support has increased, Wednesday's has decreased.

Even you don't seem to argue that your core support has decreased over recent seasons. Easy to lose, difficult to get back.

I did, it was called 'The book of average attendances' it's a dam good read :hihi:

Fair point compadre but did you know that most Sheffield Wednesday fans are from Barnsley?

Fair enough, but what would the OP know about away supporting?

As for Oldham, yea the train travel is a mess, first match or not, i for one am ashamed to be an attendee of 3rd division football. Home or away, BUT 2,800 tickets sold 5 days before the match is more than respectable.

Sweet FA the one that posted the 1,000 would fair play to him.

I was hping for a good day on the train for Oldham this season missed it last year with it being Tuesday night and having nothing to play for.

It is respectable i think you will probably sell 3,500 as it gets closer and people find the excitement of a new season creeping back in. To be honest i didn't think you were getting that many as i had heard there doing some work to the ground so had limited the tickets to 2,600?

Fair point compadre but did you know that most Sheffield Wednesday fans are from Barnsley?

Is that taken from the same book that says all the women in the Castle Markets are lesbians ?

Is that taken from the same book that says all the women in the Castle Markets are lesbians ?

The one that told me about Hillsborough being a pig farm and Meadowhall having a morgue underneath?!

Why would i doubt the authenticity of this esteemed title? :|:|

The one that told me about Hillsborough being a pig farm and Meadowhall having a morgue underneath?!

Why would i doubt the authenticity of this esteemed title? :|:|

Dont doubt it al all, especially the bit that says all Unitedites where Wednesdayites but they where dropped on there heads at birth!