Closing Snake Pass to Motorist on a Sunday

For a long time I have been thinking I would like to cycle snake pass, but the road is used by lots of fast moving traffic and going up the hills I would be averaging 5mph not 50mph so it would be very dangerous.

I have a few friends who would also be interested in cycling it or running along it. So I thought I should approach the council (Derbyshire - I think) and ask them if they could close snake pass to traffic for 1 Sunday next summer. We could turn it into a mini festival at each end with food stalls, music etc then people could happily walk, run or cycle free of danger from motorists.

What does everyone think of this idea, and what is the best way to go about making this or something similar like this happen?

Thanks

for a long time i have been thinking i would like to cycle snake pass, but the road is used by lots of fast moving traffic and going up the hills i would be averaging 5mph not 50mph so it would be very dangerous.

I have a few friends who would also be interested in cycling it or running along it. So i thought i should approach the council (derbyshire - i think) and ask them if they could close snake pass to traffic for 1 sunday next summer. We could turn it into a mini festival at each end with food stalls, music etc then people could happily walk, run or cycle free of danger from motorists.

What does everyone think of this idea, and what is the best way to go about making this or something similar like this happen?

Thanks

one word...crazy !!

why not ask for the M1 to be closed for 24hour to walkers ??

It won't happen, too much business would be lost if people couldn't get out to the peak district on a Sunday.

Try cycling it midsummer, when it gets light around 4am, on a sunday. You'd have at least 6 hours of sunlight and hardly any traffic to enjoy the snake pass.

one word...crazy !!

hahaha!!!..............

For a long time I have been thinking I would like to cycle snake pass, but the road is used by lots of fast moving traffic and going up the hills I would be averaging 5mph not 50mph so it would be very dangerous.

I have a few friends who would also be interested in cycling it or running along it. So I thought I should approach the council (Derbyshire - I think) and ask them if they could close snake pass to traffic for 1 Sunday next summer. We could turn it into a mini festival at each end with food stalls, music etc then people could happily walk, run or cycle free of danger from motorists.

Thanks

please dont try it on a normal day/time cyclists on the snake and woodhead are an absolute hazard to themselves and other road users

A proposal to cllose the Snake pass for a cycle race was considered recently. There are implicated costs in closing a road which would have to be made by the organizer, there are also buses which use the snake on a Sunday which would have to be considered. You would have to apply to Derbyshire County Council traffic and safety division, but just so a few people can walk, run, cycle without any traffic doesn't seem much of a valid reason to me, who knows its probably something they would consider!!!

What does everyone think of this idea

Daft?

People can already walk across the Pennines on designated paths.

I've seen (and passed) cyclists and runners on "the snake", so there is no need for any of the reasons you mention.

You'd be better off waiting for another land slip and the road will be clear for weeks.

one word...crazy !!

The idea might be a non-starter, but comparing the Snake to the M1 is a little off-beam, don't you think? :hihi:

I'd like to uni-cycle through the Dore and Totley tunnel.Does anyone think that....................................

The idea might be a non-starter, but comparing the Snake to the M1 is a little off-beam, don't you think? :hihi:

Maybe, but if you pamper the cyclists, why not the walkers, a 24hr closure and a quick walk down the m1 to relatives in London lol.

Of course its a daft idea, but just as likly as the snake pass!