First day at work and end up with a horse.

Any lads on here worked for Freddie Glynn who had a workshop and office on Shirebrook Road ?

2 hours ago, Runningman said:

Any lads on here worked for Freddie Glynn who had a workshop and office on Shirebrook Road ?

yes 

Guest makapaka

Enjoyed reading those stories cuttsie.

Cheers ,maybe we can get things on here moving again  ,all it needs is a bit of give and take .

Welcome back Cuttsie, your posts always had me in stitches. Relatable stuff to my own life working in manufacturing and construction. Would also like to see the return of Zakes if he’s still with us.

zakes is still around , he encouraged me to take advantage of the forum amnesty for banned ex members (could never understand what I said that was so terrible any way )  so its up to ex members as well as present to get the forum moving and a little tolerance from all be it members or otherwise .

On 31/07/2011 at 23:56, cuttsie said:

The biggest day of your life til then arrives you are starting work!

I cycled the six miles to my first days ever work at the building site at Wollerton Road Bradway.

The first thing i did was introduce my self to the forman of Parkins Rotherham who,s name was Jack Horne.

Jack looked at me and asked if I was sure I was fifteen and then when convinced asked me what trade I would like to learn i said I would like to be a joiner, He replied that joiners were two a penny and I had better start with the bricklayers.

He then told me to start work by finding Bonny and taking the gobbo round to the bricklaying gangs.

I walked round the site and asked if Bonny was around and was greeted with lots of **** taking. Any way at last I found the mysterious Bonny who turned out to be the biggest bloody Shire Horse that ever walked.

Apparently my first job was to lead this great big bloody horse and cart around the various bricklaying gangs and load up any gobbo , lintels ,bricks,etc that they needed.

The problem was that if Bonny didn't want to move she just would not until she was ready and no amount of pulling and tugging would change her mind and then all at once she would be off like s--t of a shovel.

My other job was to fill the copper boilers with water and light them for the tea and dinner breaks ,this I

did using the bucket that I had previously given my new pal her oats in ,

When the water boiled I had to fill all the mashing cans and take them round the site to there owners.

I had much trouble with this task the biggest being smacked in the nose by a joiner who objected to having the bloody horses oats swilling around in his tea.

I also had to mash the formans tea [Jack Horne] who insisted on having his delivered to the site cabin in a china cup what a bloody first day in the grown up World.

P.S. I used to see the joiner who cracked me in the nose many years later in the Carlton Club at Gleadless and knew I could have got my own back ,He never recognised me so I let bygones be be bygones but as far as the bloody horse goes every time i buy a tube of glue I think of her.

Ive re posed this for Slnny who has just joined the forum , he knows the story's from the building trade well so forgive me for bringing it up as G is finding is way around computers .

Nice one cuttsie and welcome to your mate.  So first day at work. Spent the entire of primary school and secondary school being taught the metric system. Was loftily assured I would never need to use imperial measures as metric was the future. First job was an ancient cutlery firm. It had been bombed in the war and had bought brand new machines as a result. In 1946. All calibration was in imperial. All products sizes were in inches. Because it was cutlery all amounts were measured in dozens. So I would like to give a big shout out to the education system of the 70’s for its “valuable “ advice and a quiet thanks to my dad and other oldies that taught me the imperial system that we still mix and match with metric to this day.

20 hours ago, Jim117 said:

Nice one cuttsie and welcome to your mate.  So first day at work. Spent the entire of primary school and secondary school being taught the metric system. Was loftily assured I would never need to use imperial measures as metric was the future. First job was an ancient cutlery firm. It had been bombed in the war and had bought brand new machines as a result. In 1946. All calibration was in imperial. All products sizes were in inches. Because it was cutlery all amounts were measured in dozens. So I would like to give a big shout out to the education system of the 70’s for its “valuable “ advice and a quiet thanks to my dad and other oldies that taught me the imperial system that we still mix and match with metric to this day.

Still use the old feet and inches , imperial weight is now on show on most stalls in Barnsley market . not many of them in a pound was a shout often heard at one time .

• Members
  •  
  • 171 posts
  • Joined Sep 2014

This reminds me of when my husband was training an apprentice and he asked him to measure something in feet and inches.  He came back with its 6 and three bits, to which my husband says 'big bits or little bits'.  He obviously only knew metric.

We still have problems with metric .

Here you are Lil , you asked me to  get the thread back  , may be some thing to add  will have a look through .