First day at work and end up with a horse.

Yet more good laughs with a dose of social history well written cuttsie :hihi::hihi: Looking forward to the next episode!

Thank you Peter ,your post is most appreciated as my English has been a constant pain in the arse to me due to my education at The Prince Edward University of life at the Manor Top.

---------- Post added 08-05-2014 at 20:28 ----------

We were now pulled out with work both private and commercial we got contracts at Hallam University , [Funny that as I had worked on the building when it was first built in the sixty's]. we were also in demand at various steelworks on extensions and maintenance as well as the Housing association contracts .

As we had now grown to be more than a two man band we had recruited a few tradesmen ,joiners, Bricklayers, Plasterers etc , as well as Tosh's three lads ,Gary, Lee, and Craig Wild , These three lads all went on to be top trades men in their own right and could build a house from top to bottom without having to bring in any one else as me and Tosh had had to do from the early days.

Even with all this bigger stuff coming in we still had our old customers from the early property dodging days to look after.

One of these lived in a large detached house on Crooksmoor Road and called us in to re build a stone boundary wall that had fallen down in the winter.

Now this customer had always been a good payer but for some reason after waiting a couple of weeks we still had not received a cheque so I gave the Lady a phone call.

"Just wondering if you could settle our account " says I.

'

"And I am just wondering when you are going to come and sort out this disgusting job" said she.

So of I shot down to Crooksmoor Road .

On arrival I was greeted by a silent ,unblinking if looks could kill ex customer who indicated for me to follow her up the garden path, I was a little puzzled as we walked past the pristine looking recently finished stone wall to the top of the garden where there was a large garden ornamental pond complete with Greek Statue that in times gone by had water flowing out of his gob.

But Now the statue had water coming out of the largest concrete nob that had ever been cast onto a Greek God and I laughed.

Our ex customer was not amused and proceeded to tell me that her lady's tea in the garden day to support the local cubs had been ruined by this dreadful image and until she had received a letter of apology and the offending member had been removed there would be no cheque and she would expect a discount.

And so it turned out that the young Wildies had between them had altered old Eros by bending the water pipe down through his arse sticking it out front and over the couple of weeks made his old man the pride of statues World wide.

It cost us humble pie and fifty quid ,It cost the Wild brothers a bolocking but it was worth every penny .

---------- Post added 09-05-2014 at 07:40 ----------

Just had a text from ex customer and we are forgiven .

---------- Post added 09-05-2014 at 07:45 ----------

Thank you Peter ,your post is most appreciated as my English has been a constant pain in the arse to me due to my education at The Prince Edward University of life at the Manor Top.

---------- Post added 08-05-2014 at 20:28 ----------

We were now pulled out with work both private and commercial we got contracts at Hallam University , [Funny that as I had worked on the building when it was first built in the sixty's]. we were also in demand at various steelworks on extensions and maintenance as well as the Housing association contracts .

As we had now grown to be more than a two man band we had recruited a few tradesmen ,joiners, Bricklayers, Plasterers etc , as well as Tosh's three lads ,Gary, Lee, and Craig Wild , These three lads all went on to be top trades men in their own right and could build a house from top to bottom without having to bring in any one else as me and Tosh had had to do from the early days.

Even with all this bigger stuff coming in we still had our old customers from the early property dodging days to look after.

One of these lived in a large detached house on Crooksmoor Road and called us in to re build a stone boundary wall that had fallen down in the winter.

Now this customer had always been a good payer but for some reason after waiting a couple of weeks we still had not received a cheque so I gave the Lady a phone call.

"Just wondering if you could settle our account " says I.

'

"And I am just wondering when you are going to come and sort out this disgusting job" said she.

So of I shot down to Crooksmoor Road .

On arrival I was greeted by a silent ,unblinking if looks could kill ex customer who indicated for me to follow her up the garden path, I was a little puzzled as we walked past the pristine looking recently finished stone wall to the top of the garden where there was a large garden ornamental pond complete with Greek Statue that in times gone by had water flowing out of his gob.

But Now the statue had water coming out of the largest concrete nob that had ever been cast onto a Greek God and I laughed.

Our ex customer was not amused and proceeded to tell me that her lady's tea in the garden day to support the local cubs had been ruined by this dreadful image and until she had received a letter of apology and the offending member had been removed there would be no cheque and she would expect a discount.

And so it turned out that the young Wildies had between them had altered old Eros by bending the water pipe down through his arse sticking it out front and over the couple of weeks made his old man the pride of statues World wide.

It cost us humble pie and fifty quid ,It cost the Wild brothers a bolocking but it was worth every penny .

---------- Post added 09-05-2014 at 07:40 ----------

Just had a text from ex customer and we are forgiven:)

Edited by cuttsie

Post added for technical reasons.

Post added for technical reasons.

Thank you:)

Thank you:)

And so the money kept rolling in and just as quickly it then rolled out,

We got a Jag apiece , A detached house, and took our holidays in Benidorm .

The lads around Town started to call us Starksy and Hutch after a T.V. series of the same name, although who was Starksy and who was Hutch I could never figure , [Tosh was 6ft with blond hair and I was little;) shorter with black mullet and Jason King tash ].

Both our marriages broke up as so often happens when working lads become big time Charleys but through out it all the work piled in.

Various Architects had taken us on board as they knew we would deliver what ever was asked on time and on budget.

The problem was that some times the budgets did not add up as we believed every word that these professional wizz kids and their surveyors told us, they had got two hands on working lads in the palm of their hand promising that we would be looked after even if the jobs they put our way where to say the least a little under priced.

The end came [for me any way ] on a large enveloping scheme that we undertook on the Manor area in Sheffield.

This scheme had already been priced for and won by a medium sized Sheffield company who at the last minute with drew leaving both the Architects , The Council and the tenants in the ****e.

The Architects contacted us and asked us if we would

take over the job at the same price as the original contractor had agreed ,The thing was that the house holders would loose their grants if the scheme did not go ahead immediately due to a time limit the Government had set on the schemes in question.

They also told us not to worry about the price as they would top it up with various extras as the job progressed .

We agreed to help them ,the tenants and whoever else involved .

It was the biggest mistake we ever made and it was my fault for trusting professional people who due to my working class roots i had always looked up to.

The tenants where a nightmare , any builder will tell you that when you first start a job you are the finest thing since sliced bread but! as time goes on and the job gets into three, four, five or six weeks the lady of the house starts to moan , I don't mean a little grumble here and there but but full scale war, What starts of with tea and buns every half hour becomes a bloody night mare as she see's every speck of dust, every soiled carpet,every mucky window as a personnel attack on her family nest.

The builder becomes Attila the bleedin Hun.

Thats when I decided to bale out and become a sailor.

Edited by cuttsie

What, a sailor? I'll be waiting for the next instalment. I knew you were able to write as I said a couple of years ago. It's fascinating and I've had many a laugh. A lot's happened since the black haired youth in the blue teddy boy jacket and drainpipes asked me to dance!

What, a sailor? I'll be waiting for the next instalment. I knew you were able to write as I said a couple of years ago. It's fascinating and I've had many a laugh. A lot's happened since the black haired youth in the blue teddy boy jacket and drainpipes asked me to dance!

My mind is working over time now;)

So asking lasses to dance!!!!!!! It can only be one of three places St Aiden's on City Road , St Swithens on't Manor or the Lacarno.

But I will say this tha must have been a knock out looking lass if I asked you dance due to me having three left feet and spoiling my quiff .

Must have been St Aiden's top of City Road. Not a knockout, just used my Mum's pancake (makeup) and soot mixed with Nivea for eye makeup. You asked if I was 'sliding snake'. Never forgotten that! Could have been someone else though!

Must have been St Aiden's top of City Road. Not a knockout, just used my Mum's pancake (makeup) and soot mixed with Nivea for eye makeup. You asked if I was 'sliding snake'. Never forgotten that! Could have been someone else though!

Just remembered :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

First day at work and end up with a horse

I remember overhearing my Uncle Albert telling my Dad about a horse he was responsible for at work. Uncle Albert was chief cement-mixer and general dogs body on the building sites of Ackroyd & Abbots (Ackers & Ackers). Uncle Albert’s surname was Almsley, the horse was called Arnold…late 50s - early 60s.

I remember overhearing my Uncle Albert telling my Dad about a horse he was responsible for at work. Uncle Albert was chief cement-mixer and general dogs body on the building sites of Ackroyd & Abbots (Ackers & Ackers). Uncle Albert’s surname was Almsley, the horse was called Arnold…late 50s - early 60s.

I heard that Ackroyd and Abbot builders was set up when one or both partners had a pools win in the 50's or 60's I never saw a horse on their sites but plenty of cow boys:hihi:

On 15/02/2018 at 20:57, zakes said:

Was your uncles name Albert  Almsley  Taylor Zakes  if so we are related ,a little distance and a lot of years mind you .

Edited by Parkside
wrong info .

On 01/08/2011 at 14:42, teddie said:

I look forward to both Cuttsie and OldTups stories, they are brilliant, they should write books.

we are still here Teddie , the book is in the top drawer waiting for a publisher to offer a million or two . or it could end up in a skip ,who knows .