Sheffield council and their properties

my best mate is wanting to leave her hubby and are all currently living in his own house (morgaged not council) and i told her that the coucil should give her a place for her and her kids to live in reasonably quickly. am i right in telling her that or have her just got her hopes up.

do you think the council will give her a house quickly if she explained her situation

depends on her situation. it all goes on priority now days. whatever priority means to them

well she has no where else to go so it all depends on them re housing her. dont you think they would. how wrong is that

So she is currently housed?? So why should the tax payer foot the bill for another leech??

if your friend has has her name on the housing waiting list and has a number of years waiting time i.e around 15 years or more she would stand a good chance of getting a council property in a good area in a short space of time, if your friend has less than 10 years waiting time then her chances of getting a council property in a good area are vertually nill, she could get rehoused reasonably quickly as she has children and needs rehousing due to a breakup but she needs to be aware that she will more than likley end up being offered winn gardens estate if in hillsborough side of the city or gleadless if in other side of the city

A leech thats bang outta order when you don't know her situation so put a muzzle on. She is on the waiting list but with less than ten years. Have to see then. See what happens. Thanks to the decent people that have replied.

Is there any reason she can't rent privately though?

Suppose not but what wrong with council houses. Admittedly im not in one i've bought mine but when times are hard why not.

She is on the waiting list but with less than ten years. Have to see then. See what happens. Thanks to the decent people that have replied.

Divorcing/separating your partner ought to be valid grounds for having a priority. She obviously cannot be expected to remain in a house with him.

That said, I don't actually know if it is valid grounds, but I'd be amazed to find it wasn't.

i dont understand this post, a private house belongs to a man and wife if she has grounds for divorce the courts will kick the husband out if necessary, or order the selling of the house and divide equally.

just one more point they are not called council houses anymore they are called social houses i will leave it to your imagination why that is. i know you didnt call them that but there is a point

Divorcing/separating your partner ought to be valid grounds for having a priority. She obviously cannot be expected to remain in a house with him.

That said, I don't actually know if it is valid grounds, but I'd be amazed to find it wasn't.

It's not on the list:

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/in-your-area/housing-services/homelessandhousingoptions/looking-for-a-home-or-needing-to-move/applying-for-council-housing

Priority - the priorities available will be:
  • Homelessness
  • Demolition/clearance and also development – permanent moves
  • Domestic abuse (now available to all tenures)
  • Harassment (Council tenants only)
  • Release of high demand properties (3+ bed houses, 2+ bed bungalows and disabled persons property)
  • Mobility/mental health, learning disability/long term health needs
  • Support needs
  • Leaving supportive hostels
  • Young people and the Children Act
  • Overcrowding
  • Redesignation of Older Person's Accommodation
  • Service tenants retiring/leaving employment
  • Special cases

Although I suppose they would be classed as homeless?

Your friend should contact this department at the council before she leaves the marital home: http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/in-your-area/housing-services/homelessandhousingoptions

They'll be able to advise her of her options. It is impossible to say whether she'd get priority for council housing without knowing all the details of her current situation.