Eighties nightlife memories required please

Dallas Bar on Woolleywood Bottom. My sister told me years later that it was a gay bar - I never noticed!!!!

And what did they call the club over Woollies near the Sheaf Market? The place where they threw you down the concrete steps if you weren't sick....

Do you mean the Penthouse? Not above Woolies though, it was the other side of Dixon Lane.

Twas indeed, The Penthouse.

Surely it covered the floor above Woollies - you went in at the side going towards the market??

Concrete steps all the way up...and down, if I recall rightly (I usually saw them closer on the way down!)

Surely it covered the floor above Woollies - you went in at the side going towards the market??

Concrete steps all the way up...and down, if I recall rightly (I usually saw them closer on the way down!)

It was above BHS

Dallas Bar on Woolleywood Bottom. My sister told me years later that it was a gay bar - I never noticed!!!!

And what did they call the club over Woollies near the Sheaf Market? The place where they threw you down the concrete steps if you weren't sick....

Do you mean the Penthouse? Not above Woolies though, it was the other side of Dixon Lane.

It was above BHS

The Penthouse was above Burtons

when it was stringfellows, later it was rebels

Hang on, hang on a minute - did any of you lot ever go the The Penthouse (actually, I think it was The Penthouse Suite?)

It wasn't above Burtons, at least not if the Burtons I'm thinking about was opposite the pictures - because above there was Hornes Cafe.

If you walked down toward the market where the courthouse is/was on the left and looked above Woollies you could see if the lights were on in The Penthouse.

It wasn't a popular venue with the general Friday night clubber - you used to stick to the carpets in The Penthouse (it wasn't posh!)

Hang on, hang on a minute - did any of you lot ever go the The Penthouse (actually, I think it was The Penthouse Suite?)

It wasn't above Burtons, at least not if the Burtons I'm thinking about was opposite the pictures - because above there was Hornes Cafe.

If you walked down toward the market where the courthouse is/was on the left and looked above Woollies you could see if the lights were on in The Penthouse.

It wasn't a popular venue with the general Friday night clubber - you used to stick to the carpets in The Penthouse (it wasn't posh!)

I think we're talking about two different places. The Penthouse I'm talking about was above Burtons at the top of Dixon Lane. It was opened by Peter Stringfellow after the council shut down the Mojo. Who remembers Baby Jane?

Here is a picture. Burtons is to the left of British Home Stores.

I think we're talking about two different places. The Penthouse I'm talking about was above Burtons at the top of Dixon Lane. It was opened by Peter Stringfellow after the council shut down the Mojo. Who remembers Baby Jane?

Here is a picture. Burtons is to the left of British Home Stores.

yeah its that little square bit above, with the small windows, where you went up up the thousand and one stairs from dixon lane

i bought peter stringfellows book for about 40p off amazon purely to read the first part all about his early days in sheffields nightlife

I worked at Burtons and can remember on at least two occasions, turning up for work on a Monday morning to see water coming through the ceiling above the stockroom area because a tap in the Penthouse toilets hadn't been turned off. The managers weren't happy about all the ruined stock and bespoke suits and I daren't tell them that's where I spent my Saturday nights.:D

There was a function suite above Burtons (if we are talking about when Burtons was in the same place) That was also above the co-op building - yes?

I once went to a 'do' there.

I can't pick up that link in the other post. Very frustrating.

Burtons had BHS on one side, then Dixon Lane, Woollies and the market on the other side. The co-op building was across the road, up King Street and opposite the ABC(?) cinema. There was a function room over the co-op but I don't remember a night club there.

Could you have got your bearings a bit wrong Fidgety and be mixing the Penthouse up with Baileys nightclub?

Phew! Finally got into the picture.

I knew before that I was confusing Hornes with Burtons. Hornes mensware was opposite Cockeynes and the pictures - could be ABC Merrydown.

And I know that the co-op was in this block and the function room was above it all.

Looking at the photo, I could have got Woollies and BHS confused. But I know you went down one of the side lanes to access the stairs to the Penhouse.

I'm not confusing it with Baileys Merrydown - We were bikers, you could go to the Penhouse dressed as is. Perhaps the only place in town we could.

Can't remember what it became though but I know I was annoyed about it because it became a 'proper' nightclub!!!