Pc freezes and locks up when playing games

but most games on the market need x3 core and x4 core to run so i cant play these games as this silly pc will only play on x2 core which is really silly as it restricts me from upgrading,

sorry all i forgot to say the x2 3600+ was AM2 the new x3 is AM3

Try having a search on games forums and see if there are any issues with them when utilising more than 2 cores as not many games do, even some of the latest ones don't. As I said before there seems to be many problems with multi threading in games and lockups seem to be common. Some games you can get round by forcing them to use only 2 cores but that has to be done in the games ini file.

Games that run the unreal engine can utilise them, flight sim x can with patch, call of duty 4, dirt and just a few others and that's about it.

right all

please bare with me here

i looked at the 80gb sata hdd and removed some games to free up more space, then i ran the disk defrag, then went to the cod4 game directory and set the iw3mp.exe to compatability to 'vista' and now the game works fine it does still crash on the odd time but the past few days i have managed to run the game for 3 hours at a time with no issue and amazingly no lagg.

so i would like to say thank you to all that has helped

THANK YOU x

I suspect a memory issue, your currently installed memory maybe ok for the slower

processor but your replacement processor maybe running faster than the memory can

cope with.

You could download Microsoft Memory Diagnostic tool

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Run the exe to create an iso image then burn the iso to CD

configure to boot from CD

You can run the tool for 5 minutes or forever a warning will be displayed

if an error is found.

Also check the MOBO user manual for the memory required for that particular processor.

Thats my best shot.