Pc freezes and locks up when playing games

hi all

im having problems since i upgraded the cpu, the old cpu was a amd athlon x2 3600+ and the games never ever crashed, i have done lots of research and can't find much help so i thought i would try here

my problem is my pc is running smooth and great when surfing net and such but when i play a game like mw or mw2 (online and offline) and homefront (new game) my pc freezes and locks up and i have to power it down this happens about 10-40 mins into the game everytime without fail, all drivers are fully up-to-date and temps are fine.

my specs are

gigabyte ga-m57sli-s4 mobo

amd athlon II x3 425@3.0ghz per core

750watt c.i.t psu

8800gtx oc2 768mb gfx card

4gb ram

antec soho server case

windows 7 ultimate x64

if anyone could offer some help that would be great

If you upgrade the CPU then its probably a good idea to re-install windows as well. There may be some naysayers but its worth a punt

If you upgrade the CPU then its probably a good idea to re-install windows as well. There may be some naysayers but its worth a punt

What he said.

I'd never upgrade and not do a reinstall, in fact i just have. :)

What he said.

I'd never upgrade and not do a reinstall, in fact i just have. :)

How do you know I'm a 'he'?

Oh, hang on..... half three on a computer chat thread...... Furry muff.

hi all

when the new cpu came i updated the bios to 'fhm' and added a new sata hard drive and installed a clean copy of windows 7 so was all new for the new cpu, then i used 'driver genius pro to install all new clean drivers for my hardware so everything was clean and new for the cpu, i cant understand it as when had the old x2 dual-core cpu i could play games for hours on end now im lucky to get 30 mins out of a game before it 'blue screens' or 'freezes' with a beep sound or the pc just reboots or shuts down compleately

When it blue screens what error is coming up?

Have you tried running memtest to test the memory is not faulty?

the blue screen message is driver equol or something like that i'll get the full message for you

no i have not ran memtest im using nvidia performance monitor for the hardware temps and so on, nothing has been overclocked only things that are new are cpu, sata drive, and bios update.

everything else was already in the pc and working 110% with no faults ever, i really cant understand why it will not play a game for over 30 mins but the old cpu played the same games for hours on end, its really strange

I'm leaning towards it being a driver issue.

Reinstall all the latest drivers from the motherboard manufacturer's website rather than using a piece of software that claims to download/install the latest versions for you.

whay would a driver or software issue always wait around 30 mins or so and only decide to shut down with in games ????

The fact that your running a high usage game and it only happens around the same time each time would say over heating to me or the psu is being over worked and shutting down for safety ...

do you have a heat monitor of thermostat take the side of and run a big desk fan at your board wilst playing if no shut down then its a heat issue

Well there's not much else it could be, and blue screening is usually drivers or RAM issues. He said its not overheating as he has been monitoring the temps. Also if it was PSU/overheating it would usually shutdown not just freeze/lock up.

But if you want to double check, download HW Monitor - it will tell you the temperature of the CPU cores. Then download Prime95 to run a stress test and see if it makes it shutdown.

thanks guys i'll try all your suggestions

i have 4 cooler master fans in the case 2 are on the back sucking air out and 2 is in the front blowing air in, if it is a overheating problem shall i take of the side panel as this is a hugh case and the little fans may not be cooling it enough?

i'll download vm monitor and prime 95 now and i'll let you all know the results