The Noose and Gibbet

Err...... check these links ?

Enfield Arms

Railway Hotel

Re the railway pub.

it was not outside the pheasant inn, it was on the side street called clifton street where he was hung, and the foundations of the gibbett were found buried deep of the back yard by a builder. I have had this out with library archives time and time before.

Try this Lickszz

Railway Hotel

[The Gibbet outside portraying the body of Spence Broughton. Again geography is not a strong point; Spence Broughton was gibbeted outside the Arrow, (later renamed Pheasant) near Carbrook Hall on Attercliffe Common.]

The Pheasant inn has always had that name, it was never called the arrow. Opposite side of the road in the 18th centuey were 2 inns , one called

ye olde harrow inn and the other was called the carbrook, now the carbrook hall. but the pheasant inn, was a wooden single storey inn in the 18 century was always called the pheasant and nothing else. I have the photo to prove this, it is an old b/w sketch as photos were not thought of in the 18th century lol.

i have even donated this photo to the local archives for all to view and can be seen on picture sheffield.com. one thing that they cant come to realise is that the atterclidffe road was called the attercliffe common like today. and that this sketch is by E HIDES. This was when the cattle roamed the common on the fields. Also when Broughton lane was named Greenland Engine Road, which goes to prove that the road was there a long time before spencer broughton,

=bluebird62]HI RiffRaff

you are correct, THOMAS WILLIAM PIERRPOINT who the shop belonged to, was the brother of HENRY ALBERT PIERRPOINT and uncle to young ALBERT PIERRPOINT. all who were hangmen.

I looked after Amy pierrpoint who was the wife of presumabley thomas (cant remember her husbands name), she often talked about the shop and also she had those wooden fruit stalls on the sides of the roads, she sadly passed away 1990/1991

Next to the old Williams Deacons Bank on the cliffe (now Royal bank of Scot) there was a fruit/veg shop called Pierrepoint (or similar....)

The owner was related to England's official hangman, Albert Pierrepoint, who held the job for donkey's years....

The owner was a hangman himself, thomas william pierrpoint did attend so many executions with young Albert pierrpoint , these were uncle and nephew. Albert , the elder was brother of THomas william pierrpoint. They all held the official job of the hangmen ever since 1901.

if anyone would like any more information on the subject i would only be please to help if i can.

AS there are many accounts of the pierrpoints not actually correct only old wives tales.

bluebird62

You should do tours of the area bluebird62 i am enjoying this thread thanks to yours and all the other information shared here.

It will make my daily drive to and from work more interesting, lets hear more

I used to drink in there too in my youth when it was the Railway. The proprietors were John and Brenda Horsefield who then took over the Fox in Beighton. Barry Goodison then became the landlord and I moved away in 1980. I recall the landlord's son telling me about a ghost he had seen in there. I've been in since and it is totally different. I used to go in the Enfield too and the Friendship, also called the 'Top Common'. My parents were born in Attercliffe, hence the connection. Does anyone remember Fred Poole the coalman who used to drink in there?

Yes Lickszz you are right. In 1791 Spence Broughton and an accomplice held up the Sheffield and Rotherham Mail and stole post bags. He was not a local man but from Lincolnshire. He was executed a year later in York but his body was brought back to Sheffield and was hung in chains on a gibbet on Attercliffe Common. He hung there for 36 years...incredible but true. :shock:

The above is the true version. Spence Broughton, born at Sleaford, Lincs, and his accomplice John Oxley were arrested in London in October 1791 and sent to Newgate Prison from which John Oxley escaped. Spence Broughton was tried and executed at York on the 14th Apriil 1792, his body being brought to Sheffield the scene of the crime two days later where it was hung in a gibbet on Attercliffe Common. John Oxley's body was found on Loxley Moor, Sheffield in January 1793.

If you used to go in the Railway, You will remember me well Ringo. pm if interested

Can we please have more interesting facts about Attercliffe. Really enjoying this thread,as I am researching family from Clifton Street and Attercliffe Road.

Was Attercliffe Road ever called Tinsley Road as I have death cert. saying that my Great great died on here.

Hope you can help Bluebird 62

Wow this thread is amazing.

Loving learning about Sheffield History. Keep it going!!

Can we please have more interesting facts about Attercliffe. Really enjoying this thread,as I am researching family from Clifton Street and Attercliffe Road.

Was Attercliffe Road ever called Tinsley Road as I have death cert. saying that my Great great died on here.

On a map I have dated 1890 Attercliffe road (as now) was in three sections.

From the junction with Savile street to Washford Bridge it was known as Tinsley road.

From Washford Bridge to the junction with Staniforth road it was known as Carlton road.

From Staniforth road to Newhall road it was called High street.

I'm afraid I don't know exactly when it was all changed to Attercliffe road but it was before 1905.

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

Apparently there's a story connected with this blokes bones being somehow incorporated into crockery hence the term 'bone china'.

The story is told on one of the pubs 'storyboards' but seen as it's a sh|te boozer & I've only had the misfortune to go in once I can't remember the full story.

I think this is what you mean, i posted it on another thread a while ago:thumbsup: While I was looking for something else in the Archives today I found an article headed "Curious momento ". In June 1871, a Don China jug was sold at auction in London for £4. The story surounding the jug was that a group of potters from the Don Pottery at Swinton had been drinking in Sheffield, and were making their way home in the early hours worse for wear. As they passed the gibbet with the remains of Broughton's corpse still hanging there, they decided to throw a stone at the corpse. As a result the bones of two fingers fell from the gibbet, and they picked them up and took them home. Some time later, the pottery was experimenting with making bone china, and they took the bones, ground them up, and added them to the clay, which was used to make the jug. The article named the men who made and decorated the jug, so the story may well be true