The Noose and Gibbet

Originally posted by Mo

Yes Lickszz you are right. In 1791 Spence Broughton and an accomplice held up the Sheffield and Rotherham Mail and stole post bags. He was not a local man but from Lincolnshire. He was executed a year later in York but his body was brought back to Sheffield and was hung in chains on a gibbet on Attercliffe Common. He hung there for 36 years...incredible but true. :shock:

I believe that although S Broughton was not a local man I am told that at the time he was residing in Ecclesfield,he had an co conspiritor im told but I dont know what came of him

Iagree about spencer being a highwayman, but the pub did not get the name from spencer broughton. he was actually hung on clifton street which is along surbiton street between the enfield pub and the noose & gibbet formly the railway hotel. he was hung outside the public house " yellow lion" .spencer broughton was caught , hung and left there for 28 years to deter others from following in his footsteps.

all i can say and others agree is that they chose this name for a tourist attraction and nothing else.

i was born and brought up in attercliffe and i would also like to add that i was a bar maid at the railway hotel, which used to do very well with the workers. carbrook hall hotel on attercliffe common is said to be haunted , hahaha that is all i can say. my great gran used to work there in early 1900's and never did she see one ghost. no it is all just for the public to get your money.

please read "a wander up the cliffe" book1 and another wander up the cliffe. you will find them most interesting. if you need anything else please ask. i come from carbrook just behind the carbrook hall hotel. i believe in ghosts but never seen anything from attercliffe.

HI, i also want to add that that the enfield is next to the railway hotel on broughton lane with only surbiton street splitting these 2 pubs up. the railway was named the stadium but not for long as it was then sold and the name became the noose and gibbet.

the other person to hold the mail coach up with spencer broughton, was someone with the surname "fern" i am sorry but his christian name escapes me. It is said in history books that fern died somewhere on wadlsley moor , his body was found the following day. Tt was said that workmen in the 1830's whilst digging found the base of the gibbet which had been used to hang spencer broughton's skeleton.

In other books it is said to have been the broughton inn on the corner of broughton lane which was supposed to have hung spencer in the back yard of the pub. but if you dig deeper you will always find the truth. like at the noose & gibbet it is supposed to have spencer broughtons hand behind a case. when we did go down to see for ourselfs we found that the item had been stolen.

like i said in my last email. it is all for the customer. all a load of **** and bull or a load of nonscence. they just want money and they do not mind how they get it. when i was a young child my mother told me about spencer broughton, and frn his accomplace but it is only these last 9 years that his name is now on everyones lips. the landlord and lady have jumped on the bandwagon like those at the carbrook hall. like i said if you want to know anything at all please feel free and ask. i love talking about our history. bye for now.

julie

Carbrook Hall publishes booklets about their supposed hauntings. One involved an evil priesr who had his way with a vulnerable young girl in his charge. Do you know about this story, and do you believe it to be true?

Hi DAVE , just to say that i think it is all is all a **** & bull story. due to no-one ever seeing anything. these booklets i first saw in 1984 there was also newspapers infact there used to be a large file of clippings and the sort. if you can read between the lines you will also see that this is a story. i mean it is supposed to be the "most haunted public house in sheffield". why if no-one has never ever seen a ghost ? or felt anything. if this was true do you not think that the paranormal and other people would have investigated. My husband used to live over the wall from the carbrook hall and i myself used to live across bea street on BRIGHT STREET what is now CARBROOK HALL ROAD and never in the time that we lived there when ferns garage used to stand in front of the carbrook hall back in the 1940's till 1972 did anyone ever see anything unusual or the likes.but there are tunnels leading to the manor castle in which mary queen of scots has supposed to have walked for her daily exercise.so you see Dave that nothing is at it seems. There is a most haunted pub though. in the city centre it is the queens head which was once a wash house to the castle. this is situated in the pond street bus station.

even though this has an added extension on it still has a lot of appeal. Drinks from the previous night have sopposedly dissapeared, and the cleaner has said she has seen odd things happen. pumps have swithched themselves on and off. oh Dave i could go on for ever. if you need anything else please contact me at my email i love talking about our history. many thanks is asking and for the email.

prior to the noose and Gibbet the pub was called Ronnies for a while. I was a local in the Railway for years and the Enfield( I actually married the barmaid from the Enfield)

Next to the old Williams Deacons Bank on the cliffe (now Royal bank of Scot) there was a fruit/veg shop called Pierrepoint (or similar....)

The owner was related to England's official hangman, Albert Pierrepoint, who held the job for donkey's years....

Wasn't it also called "Ronnys Bar" in the late 80's?

Originally posted by RiffRaff

Next to the old Williams Deacons Bank on the cliffe (now Royal bank of Scot) there was a fruit/veg shop called Pierrepoint (or similar....)

The owner was related to England's official hangman, Albert Pierrepoint, who held the job for donkey's years....

You can still just about see the name above the shopfront,, it's either "W. Pierrepoint" or "W. Pierrepont" It's just opposite (is it Worksop Road, or Leeds road junction?)

PT

Originally posted by Lickszz

This pub used to have another name, but I can't remember what. I was wondering does anyone know exactly wy they called the pub this name? I have been told that many years ago someone with the surname Broughton was one of the last people to be hanged from Sheffield. If you look outside the pub there is a model of someone been hanged. Can anyone verify this story? Is the pub named after this guy?

There is a book called the Sheffield Hanged it has the full story in there .

HI RiffRaff

you are correct, THOMAS WILLIAM PIERRPOINT who the shop belonged to, was the brother of HENRY ALBERT PIERRPOINT and uncle to young ALBERT PIERRPOINT. all who were hangmen.

[A book called "EXECUCUTIONER; PIERRPOINT can be bought from play.com for £5.99 the retail price is £7.99

p/s it is really a very good book of information.

juliediane

This pub used to have another name, but I can't remember what. I was wondering does anyone know exactly wy they called the pub this name? I have been told that many years ago someone with the surname Broughton was one of the last people to be hanged from Sheffield. If you look outside the pub there is a model of someone been hanged. Can anyone verify this story? Is the pub named after this guy?

it used to be called the railway when i used to go about 27 years ago