Which martial art for 'older' beginners?

Sounds great, so I'm choosing between Kapap (which I've read about here) and kali/escrima (which beginner night?)?

Both are respected, but where are both, and how much per class?

The instructors of both clubs are on here so it may be worth messaging them for details - jay_kd runs the sheffield martial arts centre where they do kali/escrima and lotar (as far as I can tell!) runs the kapap club :)

Only just seen this thread, you are welcome to come down to our gym, I would also recommend trying a few different clubs and styles, see which you prefer, good luck with your choice and maybe see you one nite...

Shiregreen community centre do a class on a Wednesday night, their are adult beginners there, 6.30 till about 8.15pm, £6

I used to go to British Martial Arts Academy at Hackenthorpe and started in the adults beginner class. Most of the students had never done any martial arts before and the instructors were really great. That was freestyle karate. They also did sparring classes and occasional weapons workshops.

Personally I don't agree with trying to increase your fitness prior to finding a martial arts club. Surely the more you train in whatever martial art you choose the fitter you will become.

If you can only do 10 press ups when u start out the next week you might do 11 and so on and so forth.

From my experience i've never been to any martial arts club that has been anything but friendly and helpful.

http://www.nortondojo.co.uk/

Whichever Martial arts classes you decide to go to, you will do very well to stay well away from GKR Karate.

Elliot Kaye is a rip off artist and never keeps to his programmes.

The rest of the "Company" is flawed also.

How they gained a licence to practice in this country is beyond me because they don't teach to help their students or employee's. They tyeach for financial gain and prolong gradings.

Hi

you will not do better than this i am talking first hand experience with these people you will be shown every thing you wish to learn try it free you wont regret it

http://www.castlebba.co.uk/30322/info.php?p=5

This would be the worst possible choice, it had a terrible reputation.

Why not try as many as you can over a few weeks and see what you enjoy the most.

Edited by Cyclone

i studied shukokai and shotokan karate 4 12 years i taught a lot of people in theire 40s,50s and 60s.i would try this there is a dojo at hilsborough leisure center and ponds forge under sensei barry nash.give it a try.

This would be the worst possible choice, it had a terrible reputation.

Why not try as many as you can over a few weeks and see what you enjoy the most.

Hi

i dont understand all this bad publicity about BBA it was around ten years or more since i stopped going and i personally thought it was great i didn't hear any bad words about it then. when i was there they changed the way you paid where you had a direct debit to pay them it was £40 a month that didn't go down well with some people but the training that you got then was far better than any other that the punters new and they had been around a bit, i myself had seen about six other dojos and quit honestly at the side of BBA they were not very good to say the least.

Hi

i dont understand all this bad publicity about BBA it was around ten years or more since i stopped going and i personally thought it was great i didn't hear any bad words about it then. when i was there they changed the way you paid where you had a direct debit to pay them it was £40 a month that didn't go down well with some people but the training that you got then was far better than any other that the punters new and they had been around a bit, i myself had seen about six other dojos and quit honestly at the side of BBA they were not very good to say the least.

I'd heard bad things about it back in 2000, which is when I came back from uni and continued doing jiu jitsu in Sheffield.

They pressure sell, push long term contracts that aren't in the best interests of the students and don't teach very well (I base this last on having two of their blue belts turn up at a session of mine, I gave them the benefit of the doubt, but they couldn't throw, fall, punch, block, roll, lock or fight on the ground, which left me wondering what they could do).

Hi cyclone

you was there when i was there then as i remember a blue belt is not that high next to red? but they should have that.

was there two of you from uni doing it i seem to remember two people from uni grading at the first opportunity they could the all of a sudden stopped going