Which martial art for 'older' beginners?

Thanks, there's lots to think about, so many styles etc?

What about Tai Chi to start with it is gentle and takes your body through a range of movements, slowly and gently, then when you have got a bit more flexibility you may want to move onto something more physical.

It is also a very calming exercise, almost meditative.

I agree with Rupert Baehr about starting to do other exercise first.

T'ai chi is a great form of exercise, works wonders for a variety of health problems but wouldn't be so hot as a form of self defence.

I'd recommend Aikido - it can be relatively gentle but is also defensive.

However, it'll take years of practice with any martial art to become comfortable enough with it to use it to defend yourself on the street!

My husband did Aikido He trained with Scott Allbright who is the highest grade Shodoka Aikido Dan in th country. The Dojo is near the Devonshire Cat (across the road). My hubby was in his fifties when he started and he loved it. It is good for the mind as well as the body and he was just about to start training for his black belt when he became very il and had to give up. He misses it so much as he used to say as soon as he stepped inside the Dojo al other thoughts left his mind and for two hours he could forget everything that was happening outside and I'm sure that helped him cope when things started to go badly wrong with his health, not only physically. but mentally too. Why not have a taster session of each discipline and find the one tht suits you best. Her is their link

http://www.aikidosheffield.org.uk/

Edited by mrs grissom
spelling

Try Hunter Martial Arts in Dronfield, £5 a time I think, and it varies between fitness class, and basic Kickboxing. Its free to try out. type in google for website.

Highly recommended, no macho bull to contend with, just helpful instructors who encourage you to go at your own pace. No contract either like those rip-offs at Castle. Good luck :)

http://www.huntermartialarts.co.uk

Edited by Vulcan B2

Ok, I'll start a bit of jogging/press-ups etc (I used to ages ago) then will decide which. I'm thinking either the above suggestions, Kickboxing or Kapap?

Thanks fellas, but now...I'm just confused??????????????????????

Thanks, what's the difference between Kapap and your discipline/s?

And I couldn't tell which are beginners classes? how much are they please?

It's not actually my discipline - but it is a very good one! kali/escrima is a Philipino martial art that starts out teaching you armed combat (very good for defending against knives and sticks) then moves onto empty handed techniques. It's predominantly hand based and very effective without the need to be massively flexible. I've never done any Kapap but the teacher who crops up on here is very well respected ( http://www.kapapsheffield.co.uk/ )

Oh and the Llap goch thing is a bit of a martial arts in joke!

Sounds great, so I'm choosing between Kapap (which I've read about here) and kali/escrima (which beginner night?)?

Both are respected, but where are both, and how much per class?