Which martial art for 'older' beginners?

Sounds good, whereabouts is he based for the beginner class, what day/time and price, please?

dont no how to put his site on here first time using forum so here goes

wednesday night carlton road that is just of middlewood road 5 pounds for a hour and a half go onto his site

sheffield shotokan karate club

have a look then come down watch if you want nobodys botherd

hi i started 8 months ago at sheffield shotokan karate club .i am 43 overweight, and wasnt fit.

bob hague 6th dan

not many of them about. makes you very welcome. his teaching is second to none.i now go to his club on carlton road on a wednesday night at seven.and he has his own dojo at his house .he teaches 1 to 1

or in a group .he is a true master .also very proffesional.tells not very funny jokes but makes great beer .give him ago once you start you will not leave

Bob Hague sounds like a good laugh!!! Im not au fait with Shotokan as much as I am with Wado Ryu but I do appreciate Karate as the "root style" to my own art of Kickboxing. Im quite keekn on traditioanl Japanese styles (or pretty much anything Japanese in general). Actually wouldn't Shotokan be classified as Okinawan? Was Funakoshio Okinawan?

Hey Towton,

How are you?

If you are not sure what discipline to train in you could attend a Mixed Martial Arts class, you might enjoy that, and further than that it might actually give you a better insight into which single discipline you enjoy.

Check out Forge MMA in Sheffield, they do open mat sessions, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (Ground Game based) and Mixed Martial Arts classes through the week. I did a months training there and loved it.

Hope that helps,

Bradwell.

For those who want to try Sheffield Shotokan karate club, I am a student there and if you are interested, I promise you will get very good value for money and a high quality of tuition. Lessons are just five pounds for an hour and a half. As we are an amateur club, insurance is cheap as well. Bob Hague, the chief instructor (who recently got his 6th dan) has a very very very very long background in karate, over thirty years experience. He started off training under Rick Jackson's (8th dan) tuition. Rick Jackson awarded him third dan. Mick Bilmer graded him later on either for fourth or fifth dan. Bob had a highly successful competitive career completing the thirty man kumite and becoming national champion in 1990. Not only that, he has produced excellent students in his own right. John Kobierowski was one of Bob's students. For the record John can not only fight and do the splits as well as having excellent technique. He IS also a very good teacher in answer to an earlier question on this thread. See his website if you're interested in one to one tuition. John got his first dan under Bob's tuition and then his training went into overdrive.

As for Bob, he is still training hard and producing champions today. We have kids who consistently win at national level competitions and our adults also fare well. Bob is fully qualified as an instructor, with CRB checks and AMA registration and coaching awards. His experience in other martial arts including ju-jitsu means lessons are varied and anyone of any age and ability can benefit. That definitely includes beginners who are in their 40s who have been asking on this thread. Please feel free to turn up at the church on Carlton road (off Middlewood road) on a Wednesday at half-seven pm. We also train Mondays and Fridays and Bob is setting up an extra session aimed specifically at beginners. Hope this helps.

For those who want to try Sheffield Shotokan karate club, I am a student there and if you are interested, I promise you will get very good value for money and a high quality of tuition. Lessons are just five pounds for an hour and a half. As we are an amateur club, insurance is cheap as well. Bob Hague, the chief instructor (who recently got his 6th dan) has a very very very very long background in karate, over thirty years experience. He started off training under Rick Jackson's (8th dan) tuition. Rick Jackson awarded him third dan. Mick Bilmer graded him later on either for fourth or fifth dan. Bob had a highly successful competitive career completing the thirty man kumite and becoming national champion in 1990. Not only that, he has produced excellent students in his own right. John Kobierowski was one of Bob's students. For the record John can not only fight and do the splits as well as having excellent technique. He IS also a very good teacher in answer to an earlier question on this thread. See his website if you're interested in one to one tuition. John got his first dan under Bob's tuition and then his training went into overdrive.

As for Bob, he is still training hard and producing champions today. We have kids who consistently win at national level competitions and our adults also fare well. Bob is fully qualified as an instructor, with CRB checks and AMA registration and coaching awards. His experience in other martial arts including ju-jitsu means lessons are varied and anyone of any age and ability can benefit. That definitely includes beginners who are in their 40s who have been asking on this thread. Please feel free to turn up at the church on Carlton road (off Middlewood road) on a Wednesday at half-seven pm. We also train Mondays and Fridays and Bob is setting up an extra session aimed specifically at beginners. Hope this helps.

It seems clear to me that despite Bob's ability to teach karate, he did not teach you how to use paragraphs.

Edited by love_rat

It seems clear to me that despite Bob's ability to teach karate, he did not teach you how to use paragraphs or about correct punctuation

I wonder how good Bruce Lee was at that or Muhammad Ali or Joe Louis.

grow up if you understood it that's all that matters

Bob Hague sounds like a good laugh!!! Im not au fait with Shotokan as much as I am with Wado Ryu but I do appreciate Karate as the "root style" to my own art of Kickboxing. Im quite keekn on traditioanl Japanese styles (or pretty much anything Japanese in general). Actually wouldn't Shotokan be classified as Okinawan? Was Funakoshio Okinawan?

Hi Farhad ..... there are some wholly Japanese styles ..... Shorinji Kempo for example (having said that, it's founder claimed to have learnt it all from the wall paintings at the Shoalin temple - see the Way of the Warrior episode for details). But all of what we call karate originated in Okinawa and was then influenced to greater or lesser extent by Japanese culture.

Bob Hague is a top bloke ..... good humoured, welcoming, friendly. His knowledge of martial arts is incredibly deep (you can tell he has dedicated his life to study and the club he runs) and the way he can match the meanings of karate techniques to effective street techniques is impressive and, I have no doubt from practical experience.

Worth a look see by anyone interested in taking up or continuing martial arts practice!!!!!

I know this is an old thread, but I couldn't but smile reading it ;-)

I would definitely recommend Sheffield Shotokan Karate Club. I started there as a beginner at 41 and my husband at 43. Great friendly club with fantastic instructors, all of whom have had dbs checks, are trained in first aid and hold nationally recognised coaching awards. They have classes every Thursdays at Wadsley Church, Worrall Road, Sheffield at 730pm til 9pm and also on Mondays at Westways Primary School, Western Avenue, Crookes, Sheffield 7pm til 830pm. Check out their website on

http://www.karatesheffield.org.uk

Hi,

I'd like to recommend Excel Martial Arts, at Holbrook Industrial Estate. It is run by Liam Richards- international martial artist of the year 2013 and Britains Got Talent finalist as team Strike.

We do beginners classes for adults and children almost every day of the week.

We use modern fun training methods to teach you traditional martial arts. We teach MMA, so you get training on Karate, Kick Boxing, Thai, Krav maga, Brazillian Ju jujitsu, self defence.

We offer 2 free trial sessions so you can see for yourself how we conduct our classes and how much fun you will have.

Payment options we discuss with you as there are different options available.

Loads of succes stories.

Call me (Pete) on 07723914948 for times and a chat if you're interested.

Many thanks.

http://www.excel-in-life.com

My favoured defence is hand to handgun ... it cuts out all that pesky training and exercising.