Which martial art for 'older' beginners?

Yes, he used to train at woodhousse when I first started judo. Then I used to go to the uni with a mate, this only happened about 5 times. Miguel took offence to me lagging in the warm up, then my mate told me the following week I was banned because I'de broke someones arm in training without knowing. Hence I don't know how true that was. oh well.

Maybe your mate was winding you up, surely if you were banned you'd be told to your face...

I teach one on one - I'm 53 with exceptional flexibility. I have some mature students that have improved in all aspects of martial arts. Shotokan or kickboxing.

You should always look at a person's ability - that's me - click link.

I don't expect people to be able to do the things I do, but better to follow somebody who can!

Are the splits useful in a fight?

Kicks are useful in a fight - but true martial artists try to transcend fighting.

I teach one on one - I'm 53 with exceptional flexibility. I have some mature students that have improved in all aspects of martial arts. Shotokan or kickboxing.

I don't expect people to be able to do the things I do, but better to follow somebody who can!

Mr Kob I didn't think you was on here. I've already advertised your services dude.

KArate is definately for the older age class

Kicks are useful in a fight - but true martial artists try to transcend fighting.

Kicks, yes. Splits, not so much ;)

Thats quite impressive, mind you I personally dont think that the persons ability makes that much of a difference as their ability to teach those techniques. For example when it comes to a competitive martial art, I wont be looking at what the instructor has done in the world of fighting but more at "who has he trained". I know fighters who have become champions who when it comes to training fighters have turned out fighters who lose more than they win.

Just because I can kick harder than a 15 or 16 stone bloke, doesnt mean I am a good instructor. However my Fighters' 85% win ratio in full contact fighting does ;)

Hope this makes sense :D

Being able to teach is a completely different skill to being able to fight.

I'm thinking about starting a martial art's class as a beginner, but am undecided which discipline to start as I don't know what's involved?

I'm in my 40's, never done any fighting class before, not very fit and am not wanting to look silly being new and unable to skip etc. :hihi: I do want to get fit, learn to take care of myself in general, maybe against weapons etc.

Any advice appreciated.

hi i started 8 months ago at sheffield shotokan karate club .i am 43 overweight, and wasnt fit.

bob hague 6th dan

not many of them about. makes you very welcome. his teaching is second to none.i now go to his club on carlton road on a wednesday night at seven.and he has his own dojo at his house .he teaches 1 to 1

or in a group .he is a true master .also very proffesional.tells not very funny jokes but makes great beer .give him ago once you start you will not leave

hi i started 8 months ago at sheffield shotokan karate club .i am 43 overweight, and wasnt fit.

bob hague 6th dan

not many of them about. makes you very welcome. his teaching is second to none.i now go to his club on carlton road on a wednesday night at seven.and he has his own dojo at his house .he teaches 1 to 1

or in a group .he is a true master .also very proffesional.tells not very funny jokes but makes great beer .give him ago once you start you will not leave

Sounds good, whereabouts is he based for the beginner class, what day/time and price, please?