Which martial art for 'older' beginners?

I'm thinking about starting a martial art's class as a beginner, but am undecided which discipline to start as I don't know what's involved?

I'm in my 40's, never done any fighting class before, not very fit and am not wanting to look silly being new and unable to skip etc. :hihi: I do want to get fit, learn to take care of myself in general, maybe against weapons etc.

Any advice appreciated.

hi, im in the same boat i will look forward to hearing peoples thoughts cos im looking myself

How much are the classes?

when i used to go it was £40 a month and you could go every day including sundays if you wanted, and do as much or as little as you wanted, but i think its changed now, give them a ring on monday they will give you all the info and expect nothing

Castle bba has a terrible reputation for locking you into contracts and hideously over-charging.

If your not sure about what you want to do then certainly do some research and visit a few classes before you sign any bits of paper and hand over any money.

Try Hunter Martial Arts in Dronfield, £5 a time I think, and it varies between fitness class, and basic Kickboxing. Its free to try out. type in google for website.

May I (respectfully) suggest that before you engage in a martial arts training programme (nothing wrong with those) then if you are in your 40's and are not accustomed to significant physical exercise, you get your body in shape first?

Long walks.

Short runs.

Even longer walks.

Even longer runs.

Workouts (circuit training) In a gym (or a course of exercise recommended by a physio, if you can get one.)

When your body is fit - and you can push it a bit;

When it's flexible - can you bite your toenails?

Then you can start to think about 'martial arts' as a means of self-defence.

If you can't run, if you're not physically flexible and if you think you're going to take on the local thuggos after a few lessons - you're sadly mistaken.

There are no short-cuts. (Unfortunately.)

probably wing chun is your best bet

hi i started karate when i was 37 with my 11 yo daughter, i was a bit embarrassed at first but once i got into it i loved it. Iwent to concorde sports on a mon and fri im now one belt from being a blackbelt cant go to often now because of work commitments but its really worth a try

Try Wicker Camp, your first lessons free and there's people there from all backgrounds, shapes and sizes. All of which have the same goal as yourself. Beginners classes are mon and wednesday 8pm until 9-30