Neighbours building on our land

Originally posted by Skatiechik

Would it not be far more effective and a happier situation for both if they just pay for the land they have stolen?

I can imagine it is going to be an expensive and long drawn out process on both sides to get them to move it.

Agree with skatiechik, try to come to some financial arrangement about them buying the land if you are happy to.

Regardles think now about what you want, if you dont want compensating and wnat the land back then you need to speak to a solicitor. A lot depends on your relationship with the neighbour,

Sometimes neighbours can be so petty. Think there`s more in life to worry about than 8" of land. I wish that`s all i had to worry about

DUDU, biggest cause of war? Have you heard of religion? racism? Perhaps a chap called Hitler?

Originally posted by markg

DUDU, biggest cause of war? Have you heard of religion? racism? Perhaps a chap called Hitler?

Religious wars? Biblically speaking these were territorial, most of the time.

Racism, erm... south african aparthid and such, was about kicking the native people of their own land (sure it has something to do with the diamond mines rather that colour of skin)

Hitler- war started cos he nicked poland - (another land dispute)

Originally posted by fox20thc

Religious wars? Biblically speaking these were territorial, most of the time.

Racism, erm... south african aparthid and such, was about kicking the native people of their own land (sure it has something to do with the diamond mines rather that colour of skin)

Hitler- war started cos he nicked poland - (another land dispute)

Exactly fox20 religion is all related to territory and I stand by my original post.

Originally posted by Playpen

How do you know that its on your land and that the fence is out of position ?

My neighbour got very territorial when we changed part of our front garden to driveway. He started inventing all sorts of lines that supposedly indicated part of our garden was suddenly his property !

To prove exactly where the boundary line is down to inches is going to be an expensive and time consuming business. Most plans only tell you whose responsible for the boundary.

If you weren't bothered about the position of the fence before then I'd leave things as is.

We have now had a surveyor do a measure and he has determined that the conservatory and fence are about 11 inches inside our land. Is getting a solicitor to write to them the best idea? We may have left it alone if 6 inches but nearly a foot seems like they are taking liberties.

Why don't you speak to them???

I feel that the person whose land has been robbed should make a stand and do whatever they need to to get it back or be paid for the land if they are happy with that.

I got on withmy neighbours and then one day we all fell out (not our fault I may add) but that's another story. Anyhow We got into the land grabbing I own everything and the moon scenario with them, which came from them and not us. To the extend they were threatening to build a wall across the front of my garage to stop us getting access to it, even though what they were planning to building on was our land. All the advice I got from anyone was exactly what has been posted on here. Such as go and speak to them, can you not negoatiate and so on.....

Fat lot of good that would have done me once the wall was built. It would have been illegal for me to knock it down once it had been built and the police would have arrested me for criminal damaage and not them!!!!!

STOP THEM ASAP.

Gail

Strongly advise you get your land back or get compensation, as previous post has said you will have major problems when you come to sell if you do not sort it.

You may get on really well with your existing neighbours now, but what happens if they then move and a complete to**er moves in?

The best and cheapest solution sounds to me that your neighbours pay you for the land and records at land registry are altered to that effect. Going down a legal route will be very costly for both parties and the only winners in that case will be solicitors. To a certain extent it depends how the land was gained, i.e. in error or a deliberate moving of boundaries which I have seen before.

When we recently bought our house, the neighbours' fence was built approx 8 inches inside our garden.

It took a while to sort out, but after a while, the neighbours acknowledged it was in the wrong place (in writing) and stated we could move the fence to its rightful postition with no objection from them.

Up until this came through, our solicitor advised us NOT to proceed with buying the property (no matter how much we liked it) because of the potential problems this could throw up in the future. We also found out that if someone has a permanent structure on your land for x years (maybe 8?) it becomes their land, so you will lose it for good.

So, you may have trouble selling your house if this is not resolved (and if it helps with your friendly negotiations, so might your neighbours)

8 inches may not seem much to some people, but multiply it by the length of the garden and you will find a fair square footage is being lost - in our case it was > 20 sq ft.

Originally posted by scottf

Why don't you speak to them???

Once we realised it was in the wrong place we told them what we thought. At this point they became slighty defensive and we felt like we had been made to feel as if it was our fault they had built it on our land! They say they built it within the boundary of the fence which has been in place about 5 years.