Advice from Citroen users needed

Yes and I will 3rd that!

I Didn't post that originally. My post has been amended even though i didn't post anything offensive or against forum rules. This is why i don't often post on here! And this will probably mysteriously disappear now!

I love Citroen cars. They've always been at the forefront of technology and design.

The Traction Avante was the first ever car to use monocoque construction in the early 30's.

The Citroen DS came out in 1955 and stunned the motoring world with its aerodynamic design and self-levelling hydropneumatic suspension (quickly adopted by Rolls Royce for ride comfort) ... the DS 'Decapotable' is generally regarded as the most beautiful car ever made.

The 2CV came out in 1948 and once again, it was a genius of engineering and construction. Not only that, it was the very epitome of Bauhaus design ... pure functionality, and now a design icon.

Unfortunately, Citroen gave in to market demands and started making what can only be described as 'average' cars in latter years.

These are the ones touted by Evans Halshaw and I doubt very much if any of their salesmen realise the history of the cars which they sell.

I went with my G/F in her C3 recently to see about a service ... they seemed unable to answer even the simplest questions I asked them. We decided to go elsewhere to someone who knows what they're talking about (got ripped off unfortunately but that's another story) :(

Other than problems with dealers would anyone recommend a Citreon C3 as I am contemplating buying one myself.

Other than problems with dealers would anyone recommend a Citreon C3 as I am contemplating buying one myself.

I like them! The CD player's a bit rubbish though ... apart from that they're pretty good. :)

I would, I've had 2, 1 was a 2002 petrol version which was a lovely smooth drive, although it was only an LX and was a bit basic;e.g. no air con etc.

The other was a 2003 diesel Exclusive model which was one of the best cars I've ever owned, 1) £30 year road tax. 2) It was 92 Bhp and went like a rocket. 3) Was really comfortable inside.

Only downside is the legroom can be bit tight in the back if both seats are fully back, and boot can be a touch small. The only trouble I ever had once was the wiper motor failed, but luckily I had AA parts and labour cover so saved myself about £200.

Now I have a family we have moved onto Xara Picasso's and we are onto our second diesel version of these and can highly recommend them for families, loads of room and our diesel version (90Bhp) has just done 750 miles on £100 worth of diesel and running the aircon to keep cool in Lincolnshire.

Had a Xsara picasso a few years now and very versatile and reliable. I got it from direct cars out by Crystal Peaks. No pressure from the salesmen - left me free to wander around and kick the tyres etc

I would, I've had 2, 1 was a 2002 petrol version which was a lovely smooth drive, although it was only an LX and was a bit basic;e.g. no air con etc.

The other was a 2003 diesel Exclusive model which was one of the best cars I've ever owned, 1) £30 year road tax. 2) It was 92 Bhp and went like a rocket. 3) Was really comfortable inside.

Only downside is the legroom can be bit tight in the back if both seats are fully back, and boot can be a touch small. The only trouble I ever had once was the wiper motor failed, but luckily I had AA parts and labour cover so saved myself about £200.

Now I have a family we have moved onto Xara Picasso's and we are onto our second diesel version of these and can highly recommend them for families, loads of room and our diesel version (90Bhp) has just done 750 miles on £100 worth of diesel and running the aircon to keep cool in Lincolnshire.

Thanks for that, I am definetly getting one after reading your post.

Took My Citroen C6 to EH for a service , they reported front O/S bush split , could have bought another decent car for what they wanted to charge .Took it to Regent House Motors as they said they needed to see it to provide a Quote . They didn't have the decency to phone with the promised quote and when I phoned them they said they were not too sure how to do it . Finished up at Northern Stag Rotherham . All works completed promptly at a reasonable price .They will collect and return car or courtesy car available would recommend

---------- Post added 08-02-2015 at 09:01 ----------

I love Citroen cars. They've always been at the forefront of technology and design.

The Traction Avante was the first ever car to use monocoque construction in the early 30's.

The Citroen DS came out in 1955 and stunned the motoring world with its aerodynamic design and self-levelling hydropneumatic suspension (quickly adopted by Rolls Royce for ride comfort) ... the DS 'Decapotable' is generally regarded as the most beautiful car ever made.

The 2CV came out in 1948 and once again, it was a genius of engineering and construction. Not only that, it was the very epitome of Bauhaus design ... pure functionality, and now a design icon.

Unfortunately, Citroen gave in to market demands and started making what can only be described as 'average' cars in latter years.

These are the ones touted by Evans Halshaw and I doubt very much if any of their salesmen realise the history of the cars which they sell.

I went with my G/F in her C3 recently to see about a service ... they seemed unable to answer even the simplest questions I asked them. We decided to go elsewhere to someone who knows what they're talking about (got ripped off unfortunately but that's another story) :(

Hi Alcoblog ,sorry but I must disagree that Citroen just make " average cars " . I have a 1977 C6 and am proud to say it turns quite a few heads , the extra,s are too numerous to note ,excellent roadholding , comfort and styling . Like you I love Citroens having had 2 Xantia's and a C5 ,not at the same time obviously . Best regards gbb1950:D

I've got a citroen xsara picasso because I love the high driving position, we used to have a megane scenic (2 of them, '99, 1.6 petrol and '03 1.9 diesel) changed from petrol to diesel to tow the 'van, but having sold the van, no longer needed the pulling power of the diesel, so we looked at both citroen xsara picasso and renault megane scenic, being very similiar, and after weighing up the options, the picasso came out on top, ok, being a '55, 1.6 petrol, it costs more on tax than the diesel, but much less on the insurance, similar driving height to the scenic, but the centre console and the placing of the gearbox in the picasso seems to give it more room, kids are happy, they still have enough legroom, and the fold down trays, and the rear cigarette port for the dvd player, the missus likes the high up view and still plenty of legroom. nice car to drive, very very similar to the megane scenic and still getting a lot of mpg :) I wouldnt go back to Renault :) still both French, but I still love driving my Xsara Picasso!

Edited by bobsyouruncle

Here is a C3 from 2011

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-C3-1-4i-VTR-/271750230998?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3f459373d6

And here is one a year older

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2009-Citroen-C3-Picasso-1-4VTi-8v-VTR-GENUINE-14-809-

MLS-FROM-NEW-1-OWNER-/321662936350?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4ae49ae51e

If you take a close look at Citroen/Peugeot/Renault prices, it does appear that they lose a tremendous amount of money year after year. The comparable Fords/VW lose no where near the same amount. Almost 3 grand on this scenario.

A poster said earlier "Don't touch French cars" and boy was he right. My family own several dealerships across South Yorkshire, and im not going to name them, (will get accused of advertising!!) but we haven't got one single French car in our stocks, and haven't had them for a long time. Very troublesome and bad resale figures and parts prices are one of the highest and customer satisfaction is well below average than non-French models.

Go and have a chat to an independent garage to get as much information on French cars, and hopefully they will give you an honest opinion, especially if you are paying top money for a particular car.

My family own several dealerships across South Yorkshire, and im not going to name them, (will get accused of advertising!!) but we haven't got one single French car in our stocks, and haven't had them for a long time. Very troublesome and bad resale figures and parts prices are one of the highest and customer satisfaction is well below average than non-French models.

Its a good job you didn't mention them because there's some serious ignorance there!

Here is a C3 from 2011

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-C3-1-4i-VTR-/271750230998?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3f459373d6

And here is one a year older

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2009-Citroen-C3-Picasso-1-4VTi-8v-VTR-GENUINE-14-809-

MLS-FROM-NEW-1-OWNER-/321662936350?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4ae49ae51e

If you take a close look at Citroen/Peugeot/Renault prices, it does appear that they lose a tremendous amount of money year after year. The comparable Fords/VW lose no where near the same amount. Almost 3 grand on this scenario.

A poster said earlier "Don't touch French cars" and boy was he right. My family own several dealerships across South Yorkshire, and im not going to name them, (will get accused of advertising!!) but we haven't got one single French car in our stocks, and haven't had them for a long time. Very troublesome and bad resale figures and parts prices are one of the highest and customer satisfaction is well below average than non-French models.

Go and have a chat to an independent garage to get as much information on French cars, and hopefully they will give you an honest opinion, especially if you are paying top money for a particular car.

Can't agree with this. I have had several French cars in my time (a Citroen and 3 Peugeot) along with 3 Italians (Fiat and Alfa) and a few Fords and Vauxhalls for good measure. Apart from the fact that the French cars have been a little tinny and rattly (apart from my latest Pug 208XY which is solid as a rock) I think they are great fun cars to drive and own. Much more interesting that the Fords and Vauxhalls, and more reliable than the Italians.

For the record - in response to the OP - my Fiat had an issue with the DPF system which would have cost a fair bit to replace - so I changed it! I was warned against removing it as it woul have adversely affected emissions and likely fail an MOT as a result. But that could just have been garage talk.